Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1975 ST/16 Transaxel - No Low Range

2 posters

Go down

1975 ST/16 Transaxel - No Low Range Empty 1975 ST/16 Transaxel - No Low Range

Post  dilburt May 12th 2009, 2:15 am

I have a 1975 ST/16 (917.25873) that is in great mechanical shape except that it won't go into the low gear range. There is no grinding or any other indication that it's doing anything when you move the lever into low range except that you do feel it click into position through the handle. These engines have lots of torque so it wouldn't matter except that I have the bucket loader on it (the original Sears loader) and the low range would be handy for pushing big piles of dirt around with a bit more control.

It seems to me that if any gears or shafts were damaged that it would make some sort of noise when it's put into low range but it's just as if the tractor has an extra neutral gear. My guess is that something has failed between the hi/low shift lever and the shifting fork assembly that's preventing the low-range gear from being moved into place but I've never looked at the inside of this transaxel and hope I never have to. Wink If you've ever worked on one of these, I would appreciate any ideas of what might be causing this problem.

Thanks,

D

dilburt

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-05-12

Back to top Go down

1975 ST/16 Transaxel - No Low Range Empty transaxel

Post  hdmcguy May 26th 2009, 3:36 pm

i think there is a pin in the high an low

hdmcguy

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-02-13

Back to top Go down

1975 ST/16 Transaxel - No Low Range Empty Re: 1975 ST/16 Transaxel - No Low Range

Post  dilburt May 29th 2009, 12:06 am

hdmcguy wrote:i think there is a pin in the high an low

If I look in the space between the frame and where the tail light is mounted, I can see the shift linkage from the high/low gear shift lever. There is a cotter pin that holds the shift-lever assembly to the shift rod protruding from the transaxle that must be connected to the shifting fork and the hi/low gear assembly. Are you referring to this cotter pin? If so, I can see that it's connected and that it's pulling the shaft in and out but it's hard to tell if it's pushing it in all the way (which is where low range is).

- D

Last edited by dilburt on May 29th 2009, 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed "gear" to "shaft")

dilburt

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-05-12

Back to top Go down

1975 ST/16 Transaxel - No Low Range Empty Re: 1975 ST/16 Transaxel - No Low Range

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down