Refurbishment of snowblower attachment

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Refurbishment of snowblower attachment

Post  Joe on May 15th 2010, 12:17 am

I'm nealy finished with rebuilding the snowblower for my dad's 1969 (or '70?) suburban 12. This involved drilling and tapping the auger with a bunch of 1/4-20 holes to bolt on urethane plastic segments which restored the width of the auger. I fabricated the segment pieces from 3/8"
thick hard urethane plastic, which was just flexible enough to conform to the helix shape of the auger.
The bottom scraper bar had worn down a bunch. I ended up machining a new scraper blade from 1/2" thick x 3" x 36" long stainless steel.
The blade is attached with 10-32 screws every 2 inches of the bottom of the existing scraper bar. The pocket of space between the pieces
that make the original scraper bar were filled with babbit to keep them from rusting inside.
I then reworked the snow chute. I cut out 2 rings from thin formica plastic laminate (8-7/8" o.d. x 6-1/2" i.d.); These were glued on with
silicone at the base of the chute where it pivots and on the underside of the chute base. This gives the pivot a nice smooth action.
I then added a control cable to the deflector piece on the top half of the chute so I could aim it without getting off the tractor. The
mounting and anchor brackets for this were machined from black delrin plastic.
All of the fasteners and pivot mounting hardware were replaced with stainless.
I added some carbide squares to the bottom of the skid runners; these were brazed on. I also machined 150 round carbide pellets which
I'm currently pressing in to the edges of the urethane auger segments. These should prevent the auger from getting ground down again
by the pavement.
I'm now waiting for some heavy snow...
Thanks,
Joe Very Happy

Joe
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Refurbishment of snowblower attachment

Post  Joe K on May 15th 2010, 2:48 pm



A view of the snowthrower with the chute deflector control cable added. Some of the urethane auger segments visable.
Thanks,
Joe K Smile

Joe K

Number of posts : 5
Age : 59
Registration date : 2010-05-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Refurbishment of snowblower attachment

Post  Joe K on May 16th 2010, 6:54 pm



Shown is a closeup of auger with segment installation complete. All carbide pieces have a small notch ground in them (not visable) to accept a 1/16" diameter
roll pin for retention.
I fired up the tractor and tried out the wear resistance of the carbide against the sloping curb of the driveway. After a few sessions with the concrete
at full RPM, there were almost no wear marks on the urethane pads! cheers
Thanks,
Joe K

Joe K

Number of posts : 5
Age : 59
Registration date : 2010-05-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Works like a champ!!

Post  JJoe K. on December 7th 2010, 11:01 pm

Hello,
I finally tried out the rebuilt snowthrower yesterday on a 4" light snowfall; the new scraper bar takes it down to the pavement. I had
to place markers alongside the drive where the pavement joints are uneven- a couple are too high for the guide shoes to go over
without lifting the blower slightly.
But it sure beats shoveling!! Very Happy Very Happy
Joe K.

JJoe K.
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Refurbishment of snowblower attachment

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum