What kind of oil do you use and why?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What kind of oil do you use and why?

Post  benski on August 30th 2011, 3:28 am

I'll open up the can of worms here. affraid That would be "afraid"..Anyhow, I'm a big fan of synthetic oil, and my brand of choice is Amsoil, specifically their ASE, which is formulated for small engines like all the lawnmowers, snowblowers, gen-sets, etc.

benski

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-08-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What kind of oil do you use and why?

Post  seattle smitty on April 24th 2015, 11:46 am

You've been around the net, I see; funny, benski. Very Happy  I take the opposite tack from you, and in my old Tecumseh flatheads (and other old small 4-strokes like tillers) I use straight 30wt. Since automotive oils (but not the diesel oils) were recentlly reformulated to eliminate a supposedly environmentally unfriendly zinc compound, at the oil change I now add some supplemental zinc by Rislone. I use this in any car or truck that is any older than the newest generation made to handle the no/low-zinc oil. And occasionally when gassing up, I put in a little from my can of 2-stroke premix fuel. In the old days some of us used to periodically add a little "top cylinder lube" to the fuel. This was essentially an easy-mixing sort of 2-stroke oil, Bardahl being a popular brand out here; others swore by Marvel Mystery Oil. The idea was to get a little extra lube to the valve guides and to rings. It can't hurt, might help, but don't over-do it or you'll have a 2-stroke blue haze trailing behind your tractor.

Where I believe this use of some 2-stroke premix in the fuel IS very important is when starting an engine that has not been run for months or years, something I do in addition to pulling the sparkplug and shooting some oil in the hole, after which I turn the engine over for a while with the plug still out and grounded. Put some of the 2-stroke premix in your startup primer-bottle as well (better than an ether-type starting fluid when dealing with a long-unused engine). Give the poor old engine every chance, I say.

Okay, benski, now you and I can stand back and watch the fur fly. bounce

seattle smitty

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-09-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ss12 on May 12th 2015, 4:53 pm

Sae30 in the summer 5w30 in the winter. I have found sinthetic oils in older engines tend to be a little smokey due to the loose tollerances. But if I was to do a rebuild I would prolly go with a senthetic. But until then I stick with conventional
ss12

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2015-01-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top