Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

67 sears 8XL ?

2 posters

Go down

67 sears 8XL ? Empty 67 sears 8XL ?

Post  AScottF May 29th 2012, 6:27 pm

I bought what I was told to be a 67 SEARS 8XL. The decals on it tell me the same. I want to restore it, but I'm not sure yet. I live in Knoxville, Tn.. The tractors original colors are pumpkin orange and white,. So it caught my eye. I can't find any info on this tractor. It has a Briggs & Stratton 8 hp horizontal shaft engine,-model number 143-608012. It has a 12 volt electric starter/altenator made by Delco-Remy. The tractor/mower model number is 917.252040. Can anybody give me any info and/or advice? Do I restore or re-sell? If I restore it, I'm going to use it as it was intended. All your help with info and advice is welcome.

AScottF

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-05-29

Back to top Go down

67 sears 8XL ? Empty New guy.

Post  AScottF May 30th 2012, 10:03 pm

Hey people. I didn't expect a big welcome party, but, after over 20 views. Even a negative comment would be wecome. Just, Please don't call me Sir.

AScottF

Back to top Go down

67 sears 8XL ? Empty Re: 67 sears 8XL ?

Post  spence June 1st 2012, 11:30 am

Hi,

If you have a use for the tractor, I would recommend doing whatever you need to do to make it a working tractor. I use several of the older tractors around my house for various things. They are cheap enough that I can dedicate one for each specific purpose I have. I have a Suburban 15 for mowing, a cobbled together SS 16 (with 8hp Briggs transplant) for earth moving, and a Suburban 10 for towing. I use them because I enjoy operating them and they are inexpensive. They certainly are not the fastest, most fuel efficient, nor refined tractors. They are straight forward, rugged, and easily repaired with mostly standard parts still available new at supply houses, or used at inexpensive prices.

If you enjoy attending tractor shows and already have other machines for use, then this may be a rewarding restoration project. You won't make any money on the tractor if you restore it, but it will be a rewarding project.

The model number you posted was for a mower deck according to Partsdirect.com.

This site, and many other outdoor power equipment sites, experiences a slowdown during this time of year. Sorry that you didn't get a response in a timely manner. I've been outside more than inside lately. My computer time this time of year is limited to scanning through messages and handling only the most urgent of matters.

Spence
Vintage Sears Garden Tractors

spence
Admin

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

67 sears 8XL ? Empty Thanks Spence

Post  AScottF June 10th 2012, 3:12 pm

I too, have many tractors I use for different functions. My main concern was that I wasn't going to ruin something worth more to someone else. You never know. I have decided to rebuild it, make some modifications and use it as it was intended. I'm sorry I didn't respond to you as fast as you responded to me. I too have to spend more time outside this time of year. Any info/diagrams you can send me on a 69 Sears 8XL would be greatly appreciated. I've been informed by Sears to go to managemylife.com ?????. I'll let you know what I come up with. Again, Thanks Spence, You've made me want to dig deeper. Make's it more fun though when you know what you got.

AScottF

Back to top Go down

67 sears 8XL ? Empty Re: 67 sears 8XL ?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum