honda/chinese clone engine swap

View previous topic View next topic Go down

honda/chinese clone engine swap

Post  TKW on June 12th 2013, 1:06 pm

has anyone had success mounting a clone engine in a suburban frame ? my '68 ss12 needs rebuilt again at some point , looking at a cylinder overbore and new parts is the price of a new clone engine. i have a 8hp on a log splitter and it has done very well. only problem had to replace the muffler, bought one for the same size honda fit perfect. the ones i have looked at didnt have charging systems on the electric start models and thats no biggy to me, and only an inch driveshaft again no big deal. what i am really wondering is the length / height of it fitting in the current space under the hood. repositioning the clutch mount also as needed.  all thoughts, comments, good and bad, or better idea welcome.  thanks /tim

TKW

Number of posts: 49
Registration date: 2011-10-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

engine swap

Post  guitarman on June 14th 2013, 2:20 pm

Hey TKW,
 I have a mid-70's ST-16. A friend told me about smallengineswarehouse.com. There I found a repower kit which
included a GX620 Honda engine , self-contained electrical components which plugged right in to my wiring harness, all the brackets which made room for the 2-cylinder,and a smaller battery. The engine is tapped with standard threads and the belt guards and pulleys bolted up. You might check there to see if they have what you need.

guitarman

Number of posts: 4
Registration date: 2013-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: honda/chinese clone engine swap

Post  zimm on November 5th 2013, 6:56 am

I tried that link, and it doesn't look good.

Original Model: Tecumseh HH120

This engine series is no longer available and since the bracket that holds the starter generator also holds the clutch idler arm it will be hard to find anything else to work in there. The engine in this tractor sets with the shaft out the right side instead of out the front like most larger tractors.

zimm

Number of posts: 2
Registration date: 2013-11-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

honda conversion for ST-16

Post  guitarman on December 4th 2013, 2:32 pm

Apologies, zimm. scratch I guess that's why smallengineswarehouse doesn't offer the rebuild kit anymore.
I didn't use any of their hardware on my tractor. I just moved the battery tray back one bolt-hole. I used
my battery tray because theirs didn't have a heat shield. Everything else fell into place.
I use my ST-16 a lot and because of the rebuild, the tractor may well outlast me. Maybe the s.e.w. will
offer a rebuild kit using another engine in the future.

guitarman

Number of posts: 4
Registration date: 2013-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top