Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Drag Link

4 posters

Go down

Drag Link Empty Drag Link

Post  marshallgang September 4th 2013, 7:26 pm

The steering drag link on my SS15 came apart when I was mowing today. I popped the ball back into the socket but it popped out again several times. Must be worn out. Does anyone out there know where I can get a replacement? Thanks.

marshallgang

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2012-09-18

Back to top Go down

Drag Link Empty STEERING REPLACEMENT

Post  Georgia SS September 5th 2013, 7:39 am

HELLO
I DON'T THINK YOU WILL FIND A REPLACEMENT DRAGLINK OR TIE ROD ENDS REPLACEMENT. LOOK BACK IN FEBRUARY 2013 AND READ THE POST ON BALL JOINT ENDS, A VERY INEXPENSIVE REPAIR THAT WILL OUT LAST YOU.
HAVE A GOOD DAY
JIMMY

Georgia SS

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Back to top Go down

Drag Link Empty Re: Drag Link

Post  marshallgang September 6th 2013, 6:48 am

Jimmy, Thanks much, I'll take a look.

marshallgang

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2012-09-18

Back to top Go down

Drag Link Empty Drag Link

Post  JiminRI April 7th 2014, 5:56 pm

I bought a drag link on eBay from Joe's Outdoor Equipment.  Joe's suggests you email them to confirm the part will fit your model - that would be the easiest way to verify. You could look up the part numbers for the SS-16 and SS-15 to see if they are the same. The manuals are probably available on stripmine.org - and they are free. Stripmine .org has all those manuals and many more but not the SS-15.

I have verified that the drag link (part 9318H) fits the Suburban 12, Suburban 15, ST-16 and SS-16 but not the newer 16-6 or SS-18 - at least they have different part numbers.

Good Luck

Last edited by JiminRI on April 14th 2015, 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added information on part commonality)
JiminRI
JiminRI

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2014-04-07

Back to top Go down

Drag Link Empty Drag Link Repair

Post  Virginia SS January 23rd 2015, 12:04 am

My Dad had this problem also and I found a solution online. A fellow described using a washer to make the fix.
Being a DIYer, I tried it. It works great.

It only took about an hour, didn't cost anything, and isn't really noticeable once reinstalled. See how I did it in the photo below. (sorry that the photos are a bit out of order)

The v-notch is so you can get the washer on the collar of the ball.
I enlarged the hole in the washer, not the drag link.
I used the mig to just weld the v-notch to the inside flat spot of the drag link. (bottom photo)
Good luck.

Drag Link Dragli10

Virginia SS

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Drag Link Empty Re: Drag Link

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum