Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

n 52 m question

2 posters

Go down

n 52 m question Empty n 52 m question

Post  seuadr May 15th 2014, 10:00 pm

Hi,

I found your forum via google search. I purchased a NOS short block that I thought I could use on my 520H wheel horse. It appears that I researched models poorly, and actually ended up with a 110-3859 motor which appears to be for a GT 19.9.

So, I am looking for a little info about it and if there were any other tractors that used the same motor so I can figure out who might want this motor.

Thanks for your time,

Jared

seuadr

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2014-05-15

Back to top Go down

n 52 m question Empty ONAN N52M

Post  Georgia SS May 16th 2014, 9:36 am

HI
I DON'T UNDERSTAND YOUR QUESTION. YOU HAVE INVESTED A GOOD AMOUNT OF MONEY IN THIS SHORT BLOCK (ASSEMBLY I GUESS) SO WHY CAN'T YOU USE IT IN YOUR MACHINE, IF YOU WILL DESCRIBE THE DIFFERENCE IN THE ENGINES MABY SOMEONE CAN HELP RESOLVE THE PROBLEM. I DON'T SEE ANY PROBLEM IN USING THE 19.9 IN PLACE OF A 16,18 OR 20 HP ENGINE. I HAVE A COLLECTION OF 20 SEARS SUBURBANS RESTORED & HAVE USE EVER CONFIGURATIOU OF ONAN ENGINES YOU CAN AMAGINE. 18, 19.9 & 20 HP ENGINES USE ALL THE SAME COMPONENTS. ONAN CHANGED THE CARB. VENTURA SIZE TO CHANGE HP RATING. THE 19.9 HP RATING WAS FOR LEGAL ISSUES. TH ONLY ITEM THAT CAUSES PROBLEM SWAPING OUT ENGINES OR PARTS IS PTO SIZE. POINT OR ELECTRONIC IGNITION PROBLEMS CAN BE WORKED OUT, FLYWHEELS & BLOWER COVERS MUST MATCH, NEWER BLOCKS HAVE STARTER MOUNTS CASTED UNDER CYLINDER, USE OR DON'T USE. I AM SURE YOU CAN GET MORE HELP HERE.
HAVE A GOOD DAY
GEORGIA SS
IN SOUTH GEORGIA

Georgia SS

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Back to top Go down

n 52 m question Empty Re: n 52 m question

Post  seuadr May 16th 2014, 9:49 am

Hi,

thanks for the response.

my question is - what tractors (if any) besides the GT 19.9 used this engine?

the main difference is, i'm looking for an electronic ignition, top starter onan p220 which is shorter and slimmer than this assembly. this is for a wheel horse 520H, not a sears tractor. it leaves the PTO 3" to high on the frame for me to use, given the way the hydro pump is set up i'd never be able to route a belt without some heavy fabrication to add a pulley in.

a point of clarification - it is a short block assembly - so all the rotating parts, but i have none of the exterior parts, which given what it appears to be the relative rarity of the tractor this was used on, could present a pretty serious barrier to me getting those parts.

so, essentially, it doesn't look like it will physically fit, and if it did physically fit then i don't have the parts to make it run, and may not even be able to get them.

now - on your assertion that all of the Onans use the same parts - that may be true to a point, but this has a 10 stud head instead of the p220's 9 stud and it doesn't appear any of my tins or anything would fit it.

in short, i'd prefer to get this brand new short block to someone that owns and loves their GT 19.9 but needs a repower instead of trying to shove it into the wheel horse that i originally thought it would fit.

seuadr

Back to top Go down

n 52 m question Empty RE; N52M QUESTION

Post  Georgia SS May 16th 2014, 11:43 am

OK IF YOU ARE SAYING THE NEW 19.9 ENGINE HAS THE TALL OR DEEP OIL PAN INSTALLED & HAS 10 HEAD BOLTS SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A P224-P226 ENGINE. I HAVE A P224 I WAS GOING TO PUT ON MY SEARS & FOUND THE OIL PAN HAD IT JACKED THROUGH THE HOOD. I AGREE IF THE NEW ONE HAS 10 HEAD BOLTS NOT MUCH WILL INTERCHANGE. REALY SOUNDS LIKE YOU DON'T HAVE 19.9.
GAVE IT GOOD TRY ANYWAY
GEORGIA SS

Georgia SS

Back to top Go down

Post  seuadr May 16th 2014, 12:09 pm

i have no idea what kind of oil pan it might have - it is a short block with no heads, covers or oil pans. I'm just going by the numbers stamped on the block, which leads me to this:

N52M-GA019 (in the sears parts fiche) and a lot of people on various forums referring to the GT 19.9 :shrug:

seuadr

Back to top Go down

n 52 m question Empty RE; N52M QUESTION

Post  Georgia SS May 16th 2014, 12:37 pm

OK THIS IS MY OPINION ONLY, IT CAME UP IN A DISCUSSION IN THE PAST ABOUT THE 19.9 HP ENGINE, SOME MORE PEOPLE & MYSELF DECIDED THE 19.9 HP ENGINE IS REALY A 24 HP N224-N226, IT WAS DISCUSSED THAT THE DECREASED HP RATING WAS INSURANCE RELATED, 20 HP AND ABOVE CAUSED SOME PROBLEMS AT THE TIME, YES THE SEARS GT19.9 IS THE ONLY APPLICATION I KNOW OF THE 19.9 HP BEING USED. PROBABLY IF YOU WANTED TO TAKE THE CHALLENGE YOU COULD USE YOUR OIL PAN & PICKUP AND BUY A JUNKED N224 AND TRANSFER ALL EXT. PARTS.I AM GOING TO PUT A JD 316 B43 OILPAN ON MY N224 TO MAKE LIKE THE 19.9 TO BE ABLE TO MOUNT IN MY SEARS.
HANG IN THERE
GEORGIA SS

Georgia SS

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down