Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bearings for mower blade spindles

4 posters

Go down

Bearings for mower blade spindles Empty Bearings for mower blade spindles

Post  Midnight77 June 25th 2014, 7:16 pm

I have a 42" mower deck Model #917.253580 and need to replace the spindle bearings for the blades.

Has anyone replaced the bearings for the mower blade spindles and know where I can get them?

Midnight77

Midnight77

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Bearings for mower blade spindles Empty Re: Bearings for mower blade spindles

Post  TKW June 26th 2014, 9:42 am

those will be a two piece bearing, 77 , a cup and cone. (like an automotive wheel bearing)  i believe timken was the oem supplier , but dont quote me on that. there will be a number stamped on both the cone and cup , take those numbers to auto parts store and they can cross reference to a replacement bearings. i went to NAPA and got import cheapies OR you can buy online again by searching those numbers. you will need to replace both the cup and cone. on my 68 ss 12 deck the two outside spindles are the same size shafts and the center spindle the shaft is bigger. all together then you will need, two sets of bearings (top and bottom)for the center and four sets to do the two outside. hope this helps , please follow up with your findings and or have any other questions feel free to ask. someone here , i'm sure will be glad to help  / tim

TKW

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2011-10-13

Back to top Go down

Bearings for mower blade spindles Empty SEARS DECK BEARING REPLACEMENT

Post  Georgia SS June 26th 2014, 11:34 am

HI
I AM ALWAYS INTERESTED IN HEARING ABOUT OTHERS EXPERIENCE REPLACING DECK SPINDLE BEARINGS. I HAVE RESTORED 14 TRACTORS & DECKS, IF ANY ONE NEEDS ONE. I NEVER FOUND A SIMPLE WAY TO GET OUT THE LOWER BRG. & SAVE THE DEBRIS SHEILD, BUT I DID FIND A WAY. A VERY GOOD PROBABLY 20 TON PRESS & RIGGED UP PULLER IS NECESSARY. IF YOU GIVE UP ON THE PROJECT I WILL BE GLAD TO HELP. LIKE SAID BRGS. ARE EASY TO GET, THEY ARE FORD & CHEVY FT. OUTER WHEEL BRGS.
GOOD LUCK
JIMMY
IN SOUTH GEORGIA

Georgia SS

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  TKW June 26th 2014, 12:21 pm

SS , the easiest way i've found is to just wreck the usually rusted beyond use dust shield with a two piece bearing puller or easier yet cut the bearing cage and remove bearings to expose the inner race then use a small cut-off wheel in a dremel tool to cut two slots 180 degrees of each other in it put a chisel in the slot hit with a hammer and pop it right off in two halves. replace the shield with a small metal jar lid. and was just thinking about this the other day find the right size oil seal , cut the seal portion out to let slide over the shaft and to provide a flat surface under the bearing allowing the outside lip to extend above the spindle tube. thoughts ? comments ? / tim

TKW

Back to top Go down

Bearings for mower blade spindles Empty RE: SEARS DECK BRG. REPLACEMENT

Post  Georgia SS June 26th 2014, 11:21 pm

HI
DO YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT YOU WOULD GO TO ALL THE MONEY, TIME & LABOR TO REPLACE THE SPINDLE BRGS. & THEN PUT A JAR LID ON FOR PROTECTION FROM DIRT & DEBRIS, NO WAY. I RIGGED A PULLER TO PULL OUT THE LOWER INNER BRG. RACE, TO BE ABLE TO SAVE SOME CUPS & INNER METAL SEAL SLINGERS. ALSO GO TO AN AUTOMOTIVE PARTS STORE OR A AUTOMOTIVE MACHINE SHOP & GET DORMAN P50- 2 9/64" DEEP FREEZE PLUGS, USE A SMALL LATHE GRIP CUP FROM INSIDE & USE A STEP DRILL IN THE TAIL STOCK & YOU CAN CUT A CLEAN 3/4" HOLE FOR OUTER SPINDLES OR A 7/8" HOLE FOR THE INNER SPINDLE. HAVE CENTER PUNCHED FREEZE PLUG & USED A 3/4" DRILL IN DRILL PRESS. WILL NEED TO PLACE CUP OVER THE SPINDLE HOUSING & DO SOME HAMMER WORK TO FLATTEN & WORK IN A LOOSE FIT, AND THEN YOU WILL BE AS GOOD AS FACTORY. A JOB WORTH DOING IS WORTH DOING RIGHT. THIS JOB WOULD NOT BE CHEAP BUT I WOULD NOT CHARGE AN ARM & LEG TO DO SPINDLES. OUT OF ALL THE 40 YEAR OLD SPINDLE I HAVE TORN DOWN SEEM ONLY A COUPLE WERE EVER GREASED AT ALL. WHO IS GOING TO LOOK UNDER THE DECK TO FIND GREASE FITTINGS WHEN THEY WON'T GREASE THE STEERING. MAN YOU TALK ABOUT A SMOOTH SOUNDING DECK W/ NEW BEARINGS. PUT BRGS IN THE ONE I USE WEEKLK IN YARD IN 2009 AND STILL HAVE TO LOOK DOWN TO SEE IF DECK IS RUNNING. LOVE MY SEARS, READ ABOUT THE GUY BEING BURIED ON HIS HARLEY, GAVE ME AN IDEA. YEH.
NEED TO CREATE SOME INTEREST ON THE SITE.PLENTY MORE WHERE THIS CAME FROM. HAVE A GOOD ONE
JIMMY IN SOUTH GA.
PS: DON'T JUST PLAY AROUND WITH MY SEARS, MOW 7 ACRES W/ A THOUSAND LARGE PINES, ALL HAVE TO BE CIRCLED.

Georgia SS

Back to top Go down

Post  TKW June 27th 2014, 9:24 am

great idea ,SS, yes you are right in a job worth doing and for me this has worked out fine  just going by size of the stock dust shield i took off  . my '68 ss 12 is the only mower i've mowed with since 1976. have a couple others bought cheap for on hand parts or engine ect. and share the same passion for the old thing haven't gave a great deal about what it looks like but i know when i turn the key not going to have any problems. keep it greased with premium grease and sharp blades and excellent belts. rebuild pulleys when needed , and made bushings for every through hole moving part.  the past 22 years only mow about 3/4 acre a small yard in the middle of 10 acres of woods  about a hour or so worth. i mow slow just like hearing it run i guess, every three or four days with the right rain. no stranger to fabrication and performance my son raced atv's for 11 years  from age five at local tracks and 8 years ama/atva national series. have a couple lathes and a mill. thanks again for the idea may try that next time around  / tim

TKW

Back to top Go down

Bearings for mower blade spindles Empty Bearings for Mower Blade Spindles

Post  Midnight77 July 12th 2014, 11:05 pm

Hi

I finally got my spindles back today after having a friend of mine, with a shop, rebuilt them with new bearings, seals and Dorman P50 - 2 9/64" Deep Freeze Plugs. On one of the outer two spindles it took almost an hour to get the pulley off the shaft by using the hydraulic press, driving the pulley back on, heat it up, use the hydraulic press again, drive the pulley back on, heat it up, use the hydraulic press again, then it finally came out and he actually bend two 5/8 steel rods in the process of trying to finish pushing the shaft all the way thru the pulley. What he found out was that the half moon key was cockeyed and was driving against the pulley making it harder to get apart.
The other two popped out with a slight hit with the hammer in the vise. When the spindles were completely pulled apart the bearings just fell to the floor in fifty pieces, so it was definitely time to replace all the bearings and it appeared that the spindles have not been greased for quite some time before I got the mower and greased it before I used it. He had no problem getting the right bearing and seals.
I did get the deck back together, mounted on the tractor and it runs smoothly and almost do not notice it running. All together for the parts and labor it cost me just under $200. So thanks everyone for your information/advise.

Midnite77

Midnight77

Back to top Go down

Bearings for mower blade spindles Empty RE; BEARINGS FOR MOWER DECK SPINDLES

Post  Georgia SS July 13th 2014, 9:48 pm

HI
YOU DIDN'T DO TOO BAD ON THE PRICE, I HAD IN MIND $100 PER SPINDLE, HOPE YOU CLEANED UP AND PAINTED THE DECK, IF SO NEVER WASH THE TRACTOR WITH THE DECK INSTALLED, USE LEAF BLOWER AND A WIPE DOWN, RUNNING WATER ON THE DECK TOP WILL CAUSE WATER TO GET BACK INTO THE SPINDLE BRGS. IF YOU WILL KEEP DRY AND GREASE OFTEN WITH VALVOLINE (JAP FORIEGN CAR RED WHEEL BRG. GREASE) YOUR GRAND KIDS WILL BE ABLE TO USE IT TO CUT GRASS FOR A LONG TIME. A GOOD SUCCESS STORY.
HAVE A GOOD ONE
JIMMY

Georgia SS

Back to top Go down

Bearings for mower blade spindles Empty Bearings for Mower Deck Spindles

Post  Midnight77 July 14th 2014, 1:02 pm

Georgia SS,

I do not wash the deck with water, I either hand clean it and use air compressor. No, I did not clean up and paint the deck at this time, waiting to get everything else working, Electric 3 Point Hitch and the Loader, which I will be doing this fall, especially the loader. Once everything is in good working order, then I'll start tear down, clean and repaint. Right now I have a leaking gas tank (plastic) will probably take it to the same person that did my spindles and have custom metal one fabricated. I will also be needing some weights for the rear when I mount the loader.

Midnite77

Midnight77

Back to top Go down

Bearings for mower blade spindles Empty Spindles

Post  Hitch June 11th 2019, 8:05 pm

Georgia SS wrote:HI
YOU DIDN'T DO TOO BAD ON THE PRICE, I HAD IN MIND $100 PER SPINDLE, HOPE YOU CLEANED UP AND PAINTED THE DECK, IF SO NEVER WASH THE TRACTOR WITH THE DECK INSTALLED, USE LEAF BLOWER AND A WIPE DOWN, RUNNING WATER ON THE DECK TOP WILL CAUSE WATER TO GET BACK INTO THE SPINDLE BRGS. IF YOU WILL KEEP DRY AND GREASE OFTEN WITH VALVOLINE (JAP FORIEGN CAR RED WHEEL BRG. GREASE) YOUR GRAND KIDS WILL BE ABLE TO USE IT TO CUT GRASS FOR A LONG TIME. A GOOD SUCCESS STORY.
HAVE A GOOD ONE
JIMMY

Jimmy do you happen to know the part number for the center spindle assembly on a 42 in deck. I could get by with just the spindle bolt I messed the threads up on mine beyond repair trying to replace bearings.

Hitch

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-07-16

Back to top Go down

Bearings for mower blade spindles Empty SPINDLES

Post  Georgia SS June 12th 2019, 10:12 pm

HI
PLEASE READ, I SAID NOTHING IS AVAILABLE FOR THE DECK SPINDLES BUT BEARINGS, DRIVE BELT, IDLER & BLADES ARE AVAILABLE, IF YOU BEAT UP THE THREADS GO TO A MACHINE SHOP, NOT CHEEP, USUALLY SOME ON EBAY, WILL STILL NEED REBUILDING.
JIMMY

Georgia SS

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down