Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

From the beginning or close to it.

2 posters

Go down

From the beginning or close to it.  Empty From the beginning or close to it.

Post  NewestSS16 December 20th 2014, 10:48 am

Hello, all
I am new to this site and just wanted to share my findings with you and some pictures of my ongoing restoration process. I bought a SS16 from a coworker for $50.00 dollars he was going to give it to me but I could not steal it from him. The SS16 suffered a broken piston rod and would not run, front tire bushings were shot, rear transaxle is leaking and finally missing a seat and battery. The good it came with a slew of attachments for its electric 3 pt hitch, a snow plow and mower deck. I can cannot seem to find pictures of it all together but when I do I will post them.

NewestSS16

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-12-20

Back to top Go down

From the beginning or close to it.  Empty Re:From The Beginning

Post  Georgia SS December 20th 2014, 1:59 pm

HI
WELCOME TO THE SEARS WEB SITE. GIVE US YOUR GENERAL LOCATION. IF YOU ARE IN THE SOUTH I MAY BE SOME HELP. SOUNDS LIKE YOU GOT A GOOD DEAL, MABY YOU WON'T BE READY TO RETURN THE SS16 TO HIM BEFORE YOU ARE FINISHED. YOU MAY HAVE TO WAIT A BIT TO POST PHOTOS I THINK, MAY BE WRONG. IF THE BLOCK DIDNOT SUFFER TOO MUCH DAMAGE YOU MAY CAN CLEAN ALL THE ALUMINUM ROD STUFF OFF THE CRANK USING SOME MURATIC ACID, WILL MOVE ALUMINUM & NOT HURT METAL, CLEAN ALL UP, GET A USED ROD & PISTON, NEW RINGS & WILL RUN A LONG TIME IF YOU KEEP GOOD OIL IN IT. THE FT. WHEEL BUSHINGS ARE THE CHEAPEST & SIMPLEST PARTS ON THE TRACTOR TO REPLACE, SEATS ARE NO PROBLEM, HOW RUSTY IS THE DECK, HOW GOOD ARE THE SPINDLE BEARINGS? DECK SPINDLE BRGS. ARE A REAL BEAR TO REPLACE. HOW BAD IS THE GRILL BROKEN. I CAN HELP WITH THE GRILL. SELLERS ON EBAY HAVE GONE CRAZY WITH PRICES LATELY. ITEMS I BOUGHT FOR $9 LAST YEAR THEY ARE ASKING $49 NOW, LOOK FOR BARGAINS BEFORE YOU PUCHASE. ONAN.COM. IS A GOOD PLACE TO SHOP. IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, JUST ASK SOMEONE WILL ANSWER. I REALY LOST IT BACK A BIT, GOT THE SEARS BUG, NOW HAVE TWENTY SUBURBANS W/ FIFTEEN ALL RESTORED W/ DECKS & 3 POINT HITCHES.
SEASONS GREETINGS Smile
JIMMY IN SOUTH GA. USA

Georgia SS

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Back to top Go down

From the beginning or close to it.  Empty Re: From the beginning or close to it.

Post  NewestSS16 December 20th 2014, 5:17 pm

Georgia SS

Thanks for the response and great information, I have notice a lot of the SS16 with grill trouble but mine is perfect. I was really surprised at how nice it was no dents, bent parts and everything was still there. I am sad to say I put the first dent in it trying to move it with a front end loader carrying it to the back yard. I could not upload pictures thought I was going crazy I guess i am too new. My wife would kill me if I brought 20 tractors home, I am trying to score a JD Crawler but don't tell her. I am located in PA I am originally from Ohio and will always call Ohio home.

NewestSS16

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-12-20

Back to top Go down

From the beginning or close to it.  Empty Re: From the beginning or close to it.

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum