Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need mower deck bearing housings?

2 posters

Go down

Need mower deck bearing housings? Empty Need mower deck bearing housings?

Post  seattle smitty April 30th 2015, 12:44 pm

New member, old user of a 10hp and 14hp Suburban. I have rebuilt both of those Tecumseh singles at one time or other, and have kept the tractors going (for my dad, who bought them, until he passed in 2011) via sometimes non-original parts and repairs. A couple of years ago I had to totally reconstruct the stamped-steel mower deck, which was 80% rust. I'm going to learn how to post photos so you can see the "before" and "after," (also photos of the Chrysler ignition I adapted to one engine).

In rebuilding the mower deck, I was able to repair the three bearing housings, but in a way that will probably prevent my ever fixing them again. If there's a next time (very unlikely, as I now live "out in the woods" with no lawn, and the tractors will soon be for sale) (I might keep one), I'll have to get on the lathe and turn some new (and somewhat stouter) housings and maybe shafts. Even though I surely won't need to do this for myself, I might think about making these things for others, if you guys think there'd be any demand.  

Well?

Last edited by seattle smitty on May 15th 2015, 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total

seattle smitty

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-09-01

Back to top Go down

Need mower deck bearing housings? Empty Re: Need mower deck bearing housings?

Post  ss12 May 5th 2015, 8:21 am

At the price you would have to sell the mandrels to make any money. There would be very few out there willing to pay it I think the 60 Mandela for my newer craftsman are too much. Must less a piece of steel you hand made. They make thousands of mmandrels at a time and still sell them for 50 bucks and up so imagine doing 1 at a time
ss12
ss12

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2015-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post  seattle smitty May 6th 2015, 1:22 pm

Man, I should have you along when I try to explain to welding customers why one-off pieces are going to be so much more than ones built on on special tooling using panels pre-cut to a tracer-pattern . . . which THEY generally buy well-used at the auction!! No, I wouldn't expect to make much of anything on something like this.

seattle smitty

Back to top Go down

Post  ss12 May 6th 2015, 1:26 pm

Yep I had the have the bushings to my sears doZer customs made and for 8 little round bushings ran me 150 bucks when when sears sold them they were a buck or 2. I'm actually trying to find 1 new mandrel shaft for my deck I runinex it pulling the bearing off
ss12
ss12

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2015-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post  seattle smitty May 6th 2015, 2:41 pm

Hey, buy yourself a little old used metal lathe; you'll soon wonder how you ever lived without it.

seattle smitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down