Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

transaxle rebuild

3 posters

Go down

transaxle rebuild Empty transaxle rebuild

Post  freddy March 27th 2019, 6:50 pm

my 67 custom 6 has a roar in the rear end....obviously a bearing. how hard to tear down and rebuild these babies?any help appreciated.

freddy

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

transaxle rebuild Empty TRANSAXEL REBUILD

Post  Georgia SS April 2nd 2019, 10:07 am

HI FREDDY
SOME OF THESE TRANS.ARE JUST PLAIN NOISY, THEY HAVE STRAIGHT CUT GEARS THAT ARE NOISY AT BEST,WOULD NOT ADVISE TAKING THE TRANS. APART EXPECTING TO FIND PARTS, NO NEW AVAILABLE,ALL THE NEEDLE BEARINGS & SEALS CAN BE FOUND AT ANY BEARING SUPPLY STORE, BUT THE BEARINGS DON'T GIVE MUCH PROBLEMS UNLESS THE TRANS. HAS HAD WATER AND THEN THE GEARS ARE ALSO RUST PITTED.
MY ADVISE IS TO LOOK FOR A KNOWN GOOD USED TRANS. WHEN YOU LOCATE A USED UNIT YOU COULD TAKE YOURS APART JUST TO TO SEE THE PROBLEM. MAKING NOISE DON'T MEAN THEY WON'T LIVE A LOT LONGER. MAY TRY CHANGING TRANS. OIL TO A HEAVIER WEIGHT OIL AND ADD A BOTTLE OF STP. WITH DECK REMOVED TIP TRACTOR UP ON RIGHT SIDE TO MAKE POURING THE OIL EASIER.
HAVE A GOOD ONE
JIMMY

Georgia SS

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Back to top Go down

transaxle rebuild Empty transaxel rebuild

Post  JoeSteele July 8th 2019, 9:01 pm

Hi freddie

I just joined the group and noticed your posting about your transaxle woes. If, in fact, your transaxle does need rebuilding, I noticed that there are quite a few new parts available for my '64 unit. There are probably quite a few for yours also. You can find them at ereplacementparts.com. Type in your model # in the search bar and select the transaxle diagram. Any part number that has a part price is available. As Jimmy stated, you can find bearings and seals at auto parts stores a lot of the time.

A friend of mine owned the one I am restoring. Way back in the past, the main transaxle case gasket was leaking so I helped him take it apart. Took it apart the wrong way and had all the gears fall out of it. With the exploded view we didn't have too much trouble getting it back together. Worked fine after that.

If you do take it apart, take the axle housing off on the drive pully side, remove the shifter, remove the casing bolts, have the unit in a vertical position with the brake wheel facing downward. separate the case and all of your gears should stay in the case. When you put it back together, usually all of the gear shafts fall into their bearings easy enough, but the shifter rails might need help getting lined up. I just grabbed the rails with pliers and gently shook them around until they went into their slots.

Good luck.

Joe

JoeSteele

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2019-07-08

Back to top Go down

transaxle rebuild Empty Re: transaxle rebuild

Post  freddy July 15th 2019, 9:06 am

Thanks joe.....i picked up a good used one by luck on my local craigslist.i put new seals on it and it shifts good with no leaks.ill refer back to this post when i have time to crack open my old one.

freddy

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

transaxle rebuild Empty Re: transaxle rebuild

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down