Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sears gt 16

4 posters

Go down

sears gt 16 Empty sears gt 16

Post  JasonD April 24th 2009, 11:59 pm

Hello gentelmen,
I have a sears GT 16 that i need some info on,and have a couple questions.

Where do I find the model#/serial# ?
Where can I get reproduction stickers?
And where can I get manuals on line??

The stickers are very hard to distinguish,but it has a 16 horse twin briggs,a high low 3/6 speed trans,a 3 point electric lift with gannon earthcavator,thats about it.
I would like to really fix it up nice but am haveing a difficult time finding info.All help will be greatly appreciated!
I dont know the year.
Im going to start by rebuildig the carb and cleaning the gas tank
Thanks Jason

JasonD

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-04-24

Back to top Go down

sears gt 16 Empty re;sears gt 16

Post  madjack April 27th 2009, 9:45 am

the serial #'s and model # should be on the shift plate in front of the shifter at the bottom. ebay is a great place to find manuals. no ideas on the stickers unless you can find someone that custom makes them.
madjack
madjack

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Back to top Go down

sears gt 16 Empty Re: sears gt 16

Post  JasonD April 28th 2009, 9:51 am

madjack,
Thank you,are you talking on the sheetmetal or on the tranny itself?? Is the numbers stamped or a sticker/plate??
Can we still getparts from sears?
I really want to go above and beyond for these people they are an elderly couple and they are suffering in life right now and I thought it would be neat to fix it up not just get it running!!

[img]sears gt 16 Sears2[/img]

sears gt 16 Sears

JasonD

Back to top Go down

sears gt 16 Empty Id tag

Post  Gary 1 April 28th 2009, 9:32 pm

I think on your tractor there is a model # tag under the hood, on the medal plate between the battery and the engine.

Gary 1

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-02-14

Back to top Go down

sears gt 16 Empty re:sears gt 16

Post  madjack April 28th 2009, 11:32 pm

that is a nice gesture. i'm sure that they will appreacate it
madjack
madjack

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Back to top Go down

sears gt 16 Empty Re: sears gt 16

Post  JasonD May 2nd 2009, 11:22 pm

Thanks guys
I got the tractor running last weekend and leveled out the garden.It runs real rough,surges when not under a load.It would be realy nice to have about 100+ pounds on each rear rim and some ag's!!!Not sure how they used it with the gannon on the back,likes to spin the wheels in anything other than hard pack!!Will not push dirt in reverse.
Neat tractor though,I collect and restore another type of garden tractor,but was comfortable sitting in the seat of this one and dont feel like I have to wear a kidney belt!!

Is the high low tranny more of a speed reduction,for tilling and such than a tork/power thing??

Ihave a gear drive that i want to get a creeper drive for,its only for slowing the tractor down not for added tork,great for tilling in a gear drive!!
When I get time im going to seafoam the carb and heads on the sears and see if that helps.alos will put some resin on the nose as it is starting to get fuzzy,fiberglass then paint.I didnt think id like the electric lift but was impressed.
Thanks guys
Jason

JasonD

Back to top Go down

sears gt 16 Empty stickers

Post  hdmcguy May 26th 2009, 3:41 pm

you can find a lot on ebay

hdmcguy

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-02-13