Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SS15 problems

Go down

SS15 problems Empty SS15 problems

Post  spence June 1st 2010, 9:37 pm

A very fine gentleman donated an SS15 to me a while ago. It sat outside until a year ago. I looked at it and found there was no spark. Oh well....park it for another year, then I realized that I'd like to use it with the mower deck that came with it. So, long story short:

The original motor has been replaced by a Briggs 326431 2581-01 This is a newer 16 HP engine, similar to the original 15 HP. It obviously was running at one point judging by the debris in the shroud.

There's no spark while cranking. I've disabled all grounds to the ignition. The flywheel key looks good. The ignition module tests @ 2,500 ohms. This is within spec according to the Briggs info I have. I don't know what to do next other than try to find another module to bolt on and see if there is some intermittent problem. Part # 398811.

Anybody have any suggestions?

spence
Admin

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

SS15 problems Empty Re: SS15 problems

Post  spence June 3rd 2010, 8:53 pm

Problem fixed: It was the Magnetron Ignition Module that went bad. Put a new one in and there's the spark. Shortly afterwards it was running.

I love the way these big Briggs motors run. Nice and smooth, without the bark of the Tecumseh.

Just odds and ends to get it back to good running condition: Needs a new choke cable and the proper gas tank. The one in it is from an older tractor and the filler neck doesn't line up with the gas cap opening in the hood. I think it's cool how Roper used the same basic grill and hood, but put a riser block under the grill so the whole assembly would clear the taller motor.

spence
Admin

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down