Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finally started working on my '66 Custom 6

2 posters

Go down

Finally started working on my '66 Custom 6 Empty Finally started working on my '66 Custom 6

Post  vwjake November 10th 2010, 1:27 am

I pulled the 6 in the garage over a month ago to tinker with the carb. It'd start and idle after lots of pulls on the recoil and once running if you gave it the beans it'd die. It sat untouched until friday morning. I stripped/inspected the carb and found the main jet was fouled. Into the dip for a 24hr bath. I took the mangled rear fenders off and massaged them straight again. Huge improvement! I took the mesh out of the grille and started straightening it. It's close, but I think I'll be better off replacing it down the road. Sat. afternoon I rebuilt the carb, and fitted it with a different fuel line. It took a handful of pulls to get the bowl primed, but success was mine. Within 20 min of the first start it running well
at idle (around 1650) and transitioned well to high idle (around 3600). I cleaned up the hood (just picking dents/welding holes). That was finished in short order. I needed to remove the front axle to straighten it. (left wing was kicked back about 3/16ths). The pitman arm was bent over one of the set screws but I managed to pursuade everything apart and cleaned/pressed the axle straight again. I cut the collar off the pitman arm, straightened the arm, and welded it all back together. I welded and reprofiled the pitman arm keyway (that'll take care of the huge amount of slop in the steering)and the end of the lower steering shaft today. Tomorrow I hope to pull the engine and steering wheel (not
looking forward to this( the C-clip came off in two pieces and it's very rusty). The sad part of all of this I may have to give it up in the spring if I get transfered.

link to picture album:
http://picasaweb.google.com/potter.jake/SearsCustom?feat=directlink

vwjake

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2010-07-23

Back to top Go down

Finally started working on my '66 Custom 6 Empty Re: Finally started working on my '66 Custom 6

Post  spence November 10th 2010, 10:26 am

Good job! I love seeing a work in progress. Hope you can get it finished.

Spence

spence
Admin

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

Finally started working on my '66 Custom 6 Empty Re: Finally started working on my '66 Custom 6

Post  vwjake November 10th 2010, 7:23 pm

Thanks, I love the progress too. I'm struggling with this tractor though. I love the project, but I have no use for the tractor, nor do I really have the space to store it once I'm finished with it. It was an impulse buy and I can't stand to leave things broken. I can't decide if I should just continue with a purely mechanical rehab and sell it to someone who likes to do the finish work/or just use it or paint it too and hope I can recover my investment.

vwjake

Back to top Go down

Post  vwjake November 13th 2010, 7:02 pm

I degreased the engine and associated brackets the other day. I also repaired the egged out holes in the clutch bracket and built the clutch rod back up. The brake linkage is off, cleaned up and sitting back in place. It doesn't function properly yet, but I haven't spent much time with it. I'm not impressed with the parking brake action, but maybe I've assembled it incorrectly or something. I cleaned out the fuel tank (just debris/no rust), wire wheeled the outside, and applied Rustoleum's rust converter spray. It looks nice in matte black, but I'll try to prime/paint it white tomorrow.

vwjake

Back to top Go down

Post  vwjake November 15th 2010, 11:59 pm

I posted pics of the aforementioned progress this morning.

vwjake

Back to top Go down

Post  vwjake November 22nd 2010, 12:29 am

I spent a few hours puttering in the garage today. I managed to remove the steering wheel (no small feat), remove the dashboard, and remove the shifter pattern plate. I've settled on Chrysler Industrial red for the chassis. I don't think it's a 100% match, but it's pretty darn close. I'll probably start refinishing the chassis this week.

vwjake

Back to top Go down

Post  vwjake November 24th 2010, 8:12 pm

I squirted some of the Chrysler red on the tractor for comparison. You'll never tell the difference. Very Happy I stripped the hood today and skimmed the rough spots with a little filler. I'd like to get it sanded and at least in primer tomorrow. I also want to knock the loose stuff off of the engine and paint it tomorrow too. Once the engine is dry I'll remove it from the tractor and get started on the frame.

vwjake

Back to top Go down

Post  vwjake November 26th 2010, 6:44 pm

New pics in the album. The tractor is disassembled. I sanded/primed/painted the inside of the back half of the frame today. Once I'm done with the underside of the front section I'll put 'em back together and paint the outside as one piece. I drained the transaxle fluid and started cleaning it. I sanded and painted the footrests and I blocked and shot the last coat of primer on the hood today as well.

vwjake

Back to top Go down

Post  vwjake November 27th 2010, 9:19 pm

No new pics today. But I did degrease the front half of the frame last night and prime it today. I'll degrease the trans tonight and get it painted tomorrow. I should be assembling the frame for final paint in the next few days. I'm not looking forward to finding the correct front wheels and seat pan. I fear they're gonna cost me dearly. That being said, anyone with the correct parts forsale let me know what you'd like for them to 02769.

-Jake in Rehoboth, MA

vwjake

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum