Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tips on repower

3 posters

Go down

tips on repower Empty tips on repower

Post  drkuhar December 6th 2010, 1:24 pm

i aquired a 66 suburban complete except for engine. tore down repainted and ready to repower with a clone motor and wondered if anybody had advice on the clutch fabrication. i made a air cleaner assembly to allow me to keep the hood on and in location. the exhaust is still exiting under the hood and needs to be routed out as well if anybody has ideas on that. thanks.

drkuhar

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-12-04

Back to top Go down

tips on repower Empty Re: tips on repower

Post  Guest February 1st 2011, 10:18 pm

You probably already have this up and running, but here's a couple of pics of what we did. For the clutch bracket, we used the factory one. Instead of bolting to the back of the block, we used a piece of angle iron to bolt to the frame, for the clutch assembly to bolt to. The clutch assembly is not fastened to the engine at all, but is mounted independently. If you look close, in you can see the angle iron mounting piece in this pic...

tips on repower Tractorstart013

Here, you can see the pulley and clutch arm...

tips on repower Tractorstart086-1

Here's a shot of what the exhaust looks like...with a muffler and 1 1/2" stack.

tips on repower Blueridgepull034-1

Back to top Go down

Post  spence February 2nd 2011, 10:35 am

This picture shows an option for mounting the clutch idler after a repower. I can't claim the engineering on this job. The pic was in the archives; it's from an unknown poster.

The concept is great. I may however have changed the execution a bit by:

1. Use larger diameter cold rolled bar stock instead of all thread.

2. Weld the idler arm portion onto the steel bar.

3. Use two bolt flange bearings on each end for support. Mount on inside of frame.

4. Use cotter pins/washers on each end of the bar to keep it centered.

The clutch engagement system on the Suburbans wears quite a bit over time. That is the reason for most of the shakes, rattles, etc. that the old tractors make. Someday I will experiment with this mounting arrangement on one of my tractors and will hopefully have a full photo how-to.

Spence

Edit to include link to flange bearing. Flange Bearing Link Here

tips on repower Linkag10

spence
Admin

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

tips on repower Empty repower

Post  nysearsnut June 18th 2011, 8:34 am

I use the clutch assembly from st models or ss16s or larger. It is part of the battery tray and does not attach to the engine block. With the correct drive pully positioning and belt length, the repower should be a snap.

nysearsnut

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down