Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mower Deck Spindles Bearing Replacement

2 posters

Go down

Mower Deck Spindles Bearing Replacement Empty Mower Deck Spindles Bearing Replacement

Post  chuckm51 April 6th 2016, 7:16 pm

Hi all,

I have a 1977 Suburban 18-6, for which I bought a 42" mower deck, Serial No. 917 253370.  I bought new upper and lower bearing sets for all 3 spindles.  The machine shop I took the spindles to for pressing on the new bearings is telling me he is unable to remove the lower bearings from the left and right spindles, which are nested down into the "cups" or dust caps that fit over the lower end of the spindle shafts,  right above the plates the 2 blades attach to. He says they are so far down into the dust caps he cannot grab them to pull them out.

He mentioned he was going to talk to a welder to see if heating the dust caps might expand them enough to pry the bearings out.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to remove those lower bearings?

Also, is there a replacement for the seals which are no longer available from Sears?

My grass is growing fast here in North Texas and I need to get my tractor back in service!

Thanks!

Chuck in Texas

chuckm51

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2013-11-11

Back to top Go down

Mower Deck Spindles Bearing Replacement Empty Re: Mower Deck Spindles Bearing Replacement

Post  TKW April 7th 2016, 8:02 am

51 , scroll through past post many different thoughts and ideas on this subject , that will get you slinging grass again , good luck > tim

TKW

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2011-10-13

Back to top Go down