Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hand operated deck engagment

2 posters

Go down

Hand operated deck engagment Empty Hand operated deck engagment

Post  64dodge April 12th 2017, 12:59 am

I have a 74 ss16 with the deck engage at the right front foot board. The swing on the lever is about 90 degrees. I was going to add a toe catch but it would come back on top of foot. Has anyone built a hand operated one? Im thinking about a lever up next to dash panel with a couple pivots and heim joints down to factory lever for a short throw at the top maybe 30-45 degrees.

64dodge

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2015-04-29

Back to top Go down

Hand operated deck engagment Empty HAND OPERATED DECK ENGAGEMENT

Post  Georgia SS April 12th 2017, 10:53 pm

HI
I DON'T THINK THE TOE KICK ADD ON TO THE LEVER WILL BE A PROBLEM ON YOUR FOOT UNLESS YOU CRAM YOUR FOOT ALL THE WAY TO FRONT OF FOOT BOARD, A BIT OF HEAT AND BEND THE LEVER UP A TAD WILL HELP WITH THE PROBLEM YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT, THE TAB DON'T NEED TO BE VERY LONG BECAUSE I STICK THE TOE OF MY SHOE UNDER AND LIFT LEVER, YOU ARE PROBABLY RUNNING THE DECK CLUTCH BELT TOO TIGHT, WHICH WILL MAKE THE LEVER HARD TO BRING BACK OVER CENTER.OR LOOK FOR THE ENGAGEMENT ASSEMBLY FOR 1978/79 MODEL, NO MODS. NECESSARY, I PUT A PULL BACK HELPER SPRING ON ONE BACK A WHILE, BUT NOT STRONG ENOUGH TO BRING THE LEVER BACK OVER CENTER, THAT WORKED WELL ALSO.
JUST MY THOUGHTS
JIMMY

Georgia SS

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Back to top Go down

Hand operated deck engagment Empty Re: Hand operated deck engagment

Post  64dodge April 13th 2017, 12:10 am

I came up with another idea today to add a cable to pull to disengage. I use this mower in some tough places and get into precarious positions that i cant get to lever when i need to. Easily disengaging is my main plan. A heal and toe like a hydrostat could be a 3rd or 4th option. Thanks Georgia for the reply and advise. Im just to the west of you in Alabama.

64dodge

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2015-04-29

Back to top Go down

Hand operated deck engagment Empty Re: Hand operated deck engagment

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down