Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trouble shifting after new belt?

Go down

Trouble shifting after new belt? Empty Trouble shifting after new belt?

Post  Joe K May 18th 2010, 12:12 am

Just curious if anyone else has had trouble with shifting and transmission dragging after installing a new drive belt? The suburban 12 uses
a 5L style belt of 81" circumference (3/8" thick x 5/8" wide).
Trouble is it constantly drags on the motor pulley just enough that the tranny input was always turning even with the belt loose as a
goose (clutch/brake fully depressed).
I tried both a rubber fabric belt as well as a Kevlar fabric type-same results. I took off the motor pulley and buffed up the V groove-same
results.
After fretting a couple days over this, I came up with a "belt brake". I made up a couple of brass shoes to capture the top side of the drive
belt when the clutch is fully engaged. The upper shoe is fixed (bolts through a slot already punched in the frame). The bottom moving
shoe has a steel dowel to guide it to the upper shoe. It is attached to a 6" long piece of keystock which attaches to the existing
clutch linkage rod below.
Works like a charm Very Happy
Thanks,
Joe K

Joe K

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-05-15

Back to top Go down

Trouble shifting after new belt? Empty Re: Trouble shifting after new belt?

Post  jbaffo June 4th 2010, 6:15 pm

I had the same problem with an ST-12. It got so bad I couldn't release the clutch when the belt was hot and the only way I could mow and not destroy all my downspouts was to rub parafin on the belt to reduce the friction. Then I discovered belt that were made for tractors and not industrial use. My local Ace hHardware store has belts with a low friction cover made just for clutch use and the problem is forever solved.

jbaffo

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe K. June 4th 2010, 8:39 pm

I kind of thought there must have been something different about the original belt. Its sort of unusual that these low friction belts
are not mentioned in the Mcmaster-Carr or MSC supply catalogs. It sure would have spared me a project! jocolor
Thanks,
Joe K

Joe K.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down