Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buying tips?

2 posters

Go down

Buying tips? Empty Buying tips?

Post  benski August 30th 2011, 3:41 am

I'll guess that the usual formulas apply to buying these old mowers as everything else? Complete? Condition? How much time you have to track parts down, etc.? If anyone has any words of wisdom for a newcomer to the potential purchase of a 1978 Suburban with a 16hp Onan on it, I'd be glad to hear it. Thanks in advance. Smile

benski

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-08-30

Back to top Go down

Buying tips? Empty Re: Buying tips?

Post  spence August 31st 2011, 11:09 am

Value depends on what you are going to do with it. Is it a show piece, a worker or something you will rebuild? Most of these machines were worked hard and put away wet. It's rare to find a pristine example, but rebuilt units are showing up here and there. Value varies between regions and of course condition.

In my area (mid Atlantic) I would expect to pay 200 to 400 for just a decent, solid tractor with no accessories. A 3 point hitch will add 100 to 200. Rear mounted attachments are still plentifly and can range from 50 to 200 each. Find a loader and you will pay at least 1000 to 1500 (or more) for it if it works.

The engineering and construction of these tractors is straight-forward. Most bearings, pulleys and belts are standard sizes that are available in supply houses.

The mower decks can be the biggest headaches. The older style (four drag links) were welded up of mostly flat steel, whereas the newer decks (X mount from frame) were formed steel. One way or another, the decks are subject to rust and degradation, mostly because of improper care, or simply time itself. The older decks are easier to weld up when they rust.

The replacement engine parts, be they Onan or Tecumseh, are becoming more difficult to find also. Onan parts are pretty expensive to boot.

You will spend time finding parts for the tractors. Again, the purpose of the tractor in your life is key here. There are modern tractors more suitable for just about any job these antique tractors were designed to handle. Owning one becomes a labor of love....sometimes the labor part is tiring if you use the tractor daily. On the other hand, the labor part is enjoyable if you are a collector or restorer.

Good luck!

spence
Admin

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  benski August 31st 2011, 11:46 am

Spence, thanks for your reply! Just as I had imagined these things were, especially the remarks about Onan parts being rather expensive. ( Shocked ) I'm currently working on massaging a 1975 Simplicity Broadmoor riding mower 727 back together, and this 1978 18 hp GT is available for less than $100.00, not in running condition, etc. I know this is probably sacrilege, but I'm thinking about a Vanguard engine conversion Twisted Evil . This especially if the Onan can't be resurrected. Anyway, glad to see there is a site specifically aimed at these pieces of Americana. I'll let "y'all" know if I buy this thing, as if I need yet another project. affraid

benski

Back to top Go down

Post  benski September 3rd 2011, 8:05 pm

Well, I've gone and done it. I bought the 1978 Gt 18, with the 2 cyl. Onan, a late 1990s Craftsman rider, and an RX 75 John Deere all for less than $150.00 Embarassed Twisted Evil So, here I go again! I can use the other mowers for parts on other projects, and I'll play with the big machine as time and funds allow.

benski

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down