Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snow Plow and Clutch adjustment

3 posters

Go down

Snow Plow and Clutch adjustment Empty Snow Plow and Clutch adjustment

Post  JOSH_ May 29th 2013, 9:33 pm

well i have 2 questions:

Clutch: some times my trans axle grinds when it goes into gear. even if the idle is low and of course not moving, it goes into a pretty good grinding fit-not always but often enough to be sick of it. i always park/start it in neutral and then put it in gear when it's idling. i guess my question is i was wondering how to adjust my clutch?

Snow Plow: i am looking forward to plowing snow with my '66 this year and am working to get the snow plow painted and ready. We use a Jeep usually with a plow, and last year we got a piece of rubber from meyer that bolts onto it like a squeegie, and doesn't scratch the pavement. i would like something like this for my tractor plow, but can't find anything. The closest i came up with is rubber mats used in horse stalls. it is 3/4" thick, but only comes in 4x8 sheets-way too much and i don't need a huge piece off rubber laying around. Anybody have any ideas?

JOSH_

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2013-04-23

Back to top Go down

Snow Plow and Clutch adjustment Empty CLUTCH RELEASE

Post  Georgia SS June 1st 2013, 10:04 am

PROBABLY THE REASON YOU DON'T HAVE A REPLY IS WE DON'T KNOW NAME AND MODEL # OF THE TRACTOR, BUT ANYWAY BELT SIZE, LENGTH, BRAND & AGE CAN CONTROL THE PERFORMANCE OF THE CLUTCH BELT, PULLEYS MAY RUST WHILE NOT IN USE, BELT MAY HAVE DETERIATED W/ AGE. SIMPLE SOLUTION IS SPRAY W/ SILICON OR WD40 FOR TEMP. RELIEF. MAY TRY A MUD FLAP OFF A SEMI FOR RUBBER STRIPS. HAVE A GOOD DAY JIMMY

Georgia SS

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Back to top Go down

Snow Plow and Clutch adjustment Empty Re: Snow Plow and Clutch adjustment

Post  JOSH_ June 3rd 2013, 6:57 pm

good point on not putting in important info. it is 66 suburban 12, and the belt comment makes good sense, so does the mud flap idea, thanks!

JOSH_

Back to top Go down

Post  TKW June 4th 2013, 10:20 am

going to throw my two cents in the hat,josh. first when the clutch is engaged the belt should stop turning. is this the gear changing problem ? check to see if the brake adjustment is to short or an obstuction of some sort as that the travel in the linkage the brake engages before the clutch can fully disengage the belt. is this a new belt or old ? if new is it a lawn and garden belt they are meant to slip easier than an industrial type. if new is it the right size a B85 is not 85" more like 82". knowledge is power here the more info you can provide the more people will be willing to help.
have you went back to meyer to see what they may have in a smaller piece of material? a friend or someone with a bad truck bed mat maybe ? if your around farm equipment area possibly a piece of belting from a roll baler. again not knowing what you have purchased for your jeep plow, have a hard time giving any suggestions good luck with your tractor. /tim

TKW

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2011-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post  JOSH_ June 4th 2013, 9:15 pm

I will check to see if the belt keeps spinning with clutch/brake engaged. if it doesn't, i will adjust it, but, it is a very old belt, feels brittle but not dry rotted if that makes sense. now that i think about it, it has gotten worse since i have owned it. before me i doubt it was used much (in the last few years-it's not mint or anything), and now that i have it I have been running it around the yard with my son and plowed the garden. i guess an already weak belt could be getting really shot now. i think i should start by replacing it, then adjusting. what drive belt is recommended by you guys? it is a bare tractor, no mower deck. my model number is 91799420.

the plow thing is a Meyers accessory, and i am sure not cheap. i have a farmer friend who is digging around for some rubber he has.

JOSH_

Back to top Go down

Post  TKW June 5th 2013, 11:12 am

josh,glad to help,i have had excellent sevice with stens trublue belts purchased from justmowerparts.com i am in central kentucky and ordering by phone on one day and receiving the next day from their shipping point in jasper indiana. my guess off hand your drive belt is a 5/8"x 81" sears part# 6474H. their part# 258-081.just to be on the smart side i suggest looking up your tractor number on sears parts site and finding the belt part number listed you can use the cross reference page on this site to find the correct size you need. i looked on their web page (just to be nosey)it is $ 20.88 with a flat rate shipping of $9 and change. i have tried belts from other places tractor supply (huskee belts) and sears belts the trublue have proven better in my opinion. i just mow the yard with my tired old '68 ss12, or pull the log splitter around, no heavy pushing or pulling. hope this is good information /tim

TKW

Back to top Go down

Post  JOSH_ June 5th 2013, 8:27 pm

thanks Tim, you have been a big help. as soon as i got my tractor a month or so ago i changed the fluids and greased everything, just have not gotten to the belts. i will take your advice and get one from stens. might as well get the one i need for the engine too. i can't wait to get my plow all painted up and ready for winter!

JOSH_

Back to top Go down

Post  TKW June 6th 2013, 6:01 pm

couple more thoughts, josh, talking about the starter / generator belt i put on a gripper type belt (not a lawn and garden type) one that is designed not to slip my thinking was with a L&G belt as it wore more pressure would be needed to keep it tight in the pulley and with that more pressure more wear in the bearings in the starter. dont know if this is good thinking or not just what i have done. others here on site may have a better set up. last thought about your plow strip, may look to your county road dept. to see if they use what your looking for on their plows and may have an old piece laying around they may give to you. / tim

TKW

Back to top Go down

Post  JOSH_ June 7th 2013, 7:40 pm

i think thats good thinking regarding the gripper belt. Where did you get yours? i think i read they are 33"? the sears site calls it a v belt, but lawn tractor parts doesn't mention the v part. i guess the v is implied since the sears PN crosses over.

On a different subject, have you ever bought decals for yours? mine is a 66 and can't find any on ebay or the net to match pictures i have seen.

what all implements do you have? i got a garden plow, snow blade, wagon (not sears) disc, and wheel weights that came with mine. I would really like to get a tiller for it some day. guy wanted to sell me a front loader but they are $$$-oh well. i can't imagine they handle to good with a loaded loader and might want to tip over easy.

JOSH_

Back to top Go down

Post  TKW June 8th 2013, 8:58 am

yes that would be a 3/8"x33" belt its been sometime ago as i remember matched one up at either an auto parts place or tractor supply store.

as for decals wouldn't have a clue josh personally i'm a "function over form" type of old guy (will be 54) as long as it starts when i turn the key, doesn't rattle, vibrate, and mows the yard level i'm pretty much content. i have gone to extreme measures to remedy some of that. might try looking in the picture gallery on this site and see if anyone has posted pictures of their tractors. there are a lot of people that may have an original one that you can see paint and decal ideas. or maybe enter your year/model in google under images and see what pops up. the only other thing would be to find a sears advertisment or catalog from that year.

just mow the yard and pull around a log splitter and trailer when needed. do have a front mount plow,but never had reason to put it on,came with one of a few parts tractors i have. i bought my '68 used way back in 1974, and its all i have mowed with since. you could still get most parts from sears, but if i found a cheap one for parts i'd get it just to save a dollar or two and didnt have to wait to find or order a part i needed that day. but now with the all knowing internet and ebay access and web sites like this old parts and tractors are commonly found. i would think with all the pushing and pulling you are planning on doing you are going to need weight for the rear.(?) may think about fluid in the tires and or dual tire set up. dont know anything about that might try a new post to see if or what others on here with more experience on the subject. / tim

TKW

Back to top Go down

Snow Plow and Clutch adjustment Empty Weight

Post  JOSH_ June 8th 2013, 8:58 pm

as for weight i was planning on using an old 15-25 gallon artillery grease drum from work filled with concrete set up for the 3 point hitch, plus the wheel weights.

as for the stickers, i know pretty tractors don't work any better than the veterans, but i always liked a work horse that cleans up well too.

found one in a guys shed yesterday (maybe a 14hp?-had the big white grill and blue paint), but he wasn't home. maybe he has a bunch of 'em and cool attachments to unload for cheap.

JOSH_

Back to top Go down

Post  JOSH_ June 10th 2013, 7:06 pm

well it is a 14hp, but it's all he has as far as suburbans, has a boat load of other stuff like tillers, other GT brands ets. pretty good contact so far and close to home.

JOSH_

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down