Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GT-18 that I just got

3 posters

Go down

GT-18 that I just got Empty GT-18 that I just got

Post  Tim Keith June 30th 2013, 8:40 pm

I think this tractor is a GT-18. It is grey with Briggs and Stratton 422447 opposed twin and
a six speed (high and low), with 3 point hitch. Where is the model number located on these
tractors?

It runs good. Came with a box blade. I want to use this tractor to level a driveway.

Tim

Tim Keith

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

GT-18 that I just got Empty Re: GT-18 that I just got

Post  bluecometk July 1st 2013, 11:26 am

Can you post pictures?

bluecometk

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Keith July 6th 2013, 7:41 pm

Here it is.  I know very little about Sears garden tractors. I'd appreciate any
information on this tractor.

It is missing the PTO clutch, mule drive and mowing deck.

GT-18 that I just got SearsGT-18gardentractor

Last edited by Tim Keith on July 6th 2013, 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : attach photo)

Tim Keith

Back to top Go down

GT-18 that I just got Empty GT 18 THAT I JUST GOT

Post  Georgia SS July 7th 2013, 6:34 pm

YOU HAVE YOUR SELF A TOUGH PEICE OF EQUIPMENT. GT18 I DOUBT, LOOKS LIKE A ST16 THAT HAD A TECUMSEH FROM FACTORY & SOMEONE HAS REPLACED WITH A BRIGGS. I SEE ALL THE BELT GUIDES ARE NOT ON THE ENGINE BECAUSE THE ONES FROM A TECUMSEH WILL NOT GO ON A BRIGGS. THE HOOD IS NOT RIGHT FOR A ST OF ANY SIZE OR YEAR. THE HOOD IS FOR SS OR GT WITH AN ONAN. THE FRAME IS TELLING ME A ST BECAUSE OF THE SUPPORT GOING UP TO DASH. I HAVE 16 HP BRIGGS ON A ROPER. I DON'T THINK 16 OR 18 HP BRIGGS WERE USED BEFORE 1976 OR 1977 & YOUR DASH LOOKS LIKE 1973-75 MODEL. BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION THE MODEL # PLATE WILL BE NEAR THE GEAR SHIFT OR ON THE HEAT SHEILD IN FRONT OF BATTERY. IF NOT DON'T WORRY. JUST MAKE SURE YOU CHANGE OIL IN TRANSMISSION AND
ENGINE, GREASE & CHG. OIL FILTER IF IT HAS ONE & AIR FILTER. PLEASE USE PREMIUM GAS & SOME MARVEL MYSTERY OIL. TO SAVE A LOT OF HEADACHES. THAT OLE BRIGGS IS TOUGH AS NAILS. WISH I HAD A COUPLE OF THEM. IF YOU ARE STILL READING. THANKS JIMMY

Georgia SS

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Keith July 7th 2013, 7:57 pm

George,

Where is the model number on this tractor? This model has a fiberglass dash, if that
is unique. Not plastic.

I was told that the tractor originally had an Onan twin.   The replacement 18 HP B&S
motor came from Northern Equipment in about 1993 at a $1,000 cost.  The Briggs
works great for now but I understand parts for the 422447 are getting harder to find.

I got the tractor for landscaping work.   The reason I got this Sears is the box blade
and 3PH, but I have work to do before the box blade can be practical.  As heavy as
the Sears tractor is, it lacks traction to use the box blade for any material that isn't
already loose.  

I like the Wheel Horse models. I would have got a larger belt drive WH if I found one
The Sears is well built for the most part. The grill needs work- its  fiberglass and I
think I can repair it.  Roper should not have used fiberglass.

I'm looking for a larger utility tractor to help move large rocks, 500 pounds or so.  
The Sears will work well for leveling gravel and dirt but lacks traction to handle the
rocks.  The Sears will work well for plowing a garden - when I clear away enough
rocks.

Tim

Last edited by Tim Keith on July 7th 2013, 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : dash comment)

Tim Keith

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Keith July 14th 2013, 9:10 pm

It was originally painted a yellow. Where is the model number on these tractors?

Tim Keith

Back to top Go down

GT-18 that I just got Empty SEARS SUBURBAN MODER NUMBER

Post  Georgia SS July 15th 2013, 8:01 pm

HI TIM
THE FIBERGLASS DASH IS STANDARD, THE YELLOW & WHITE PAINT IS CORRECT, WHAT YOU HAVE IS A SS16 TWIN MODEL #917-25751, THE TAG IS OR WAS MOUNTED RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE GEAR SHIFT, IF IT IS NOT LOOK FOR TWO SMALL HOLES ABOUT 2" APART WHERE IT WAS RIVITED. DON'T THINK THE MODEL NUMBER WILL HELP FINDING PARTS. MOST ALL YEARS & MODELS OF SUBURBAN PARTS WILL INTERCHANGE. I WOULD BE SURE TO CHANGE THE TRANS.& ENGINE OIL. BEING TO ENGINE HAS BEEN CHANGED THE CLUTCH BELT COULD BE A PAIN TO FIND A FIT. DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW THE CLUTCH IS WORKING WITHOUT A BELT GUARD AROUND THE CRANK PULLY. OH ROPER USED ALUMINUM DASHES & GRILLS ON THEIR MODELS. ENJOY JIMMY

Georgia SS

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Keith July 16th 2013, 10:11 pm

The belt is too tight. I have to press very hard on the clutch to shift without
grinding gears. So, I can look for a proper belt guard from any '70s Suburban?

Tim

Tim Keith

Back to top Go down

GT-18 that I just got Empty RE: GT18 I JUST GOT

Post  Georgia SS July 17th 2013, 9:51 pm

I MAY HAVE MISLED YOU A BIT BY SAYING MOST SUBURBAN PARTS WILL INTERCHANGE, NOTHING ON BRIGGS & ONAN MOTORS WILL INTERCHANGE. THE BELT GUARD OR GUIDE WILL BE HARD TO FIND FOR A BRIGGS. WON'T BE TOO HARD TO FABRICATE A BELT GUARD W/ 1/8 X1" METAL, ALSO MAY NEED TO GET A NEW BELT ONE INCH LONGER. SOMETIMES THE BELT GUARD OR GUIDE ON THE TRANS. IS LEFT OFF. IF SO THAT WON'T BE HARD TO FIND. THE TRANS.GEARS WON'T TAKE A LOT OF SCRAPING.CHEERS JIMMY

Georgia SS

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum