Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

need alternator help

3 posters

Go down

need alternator help Empty need alternator help

Post  JWB January 24th 2014, 5:32 pm

I have an old Sears ST16 model 91725740 with the 16HP Tecumseh motor. I need to know what the alternator amp is. The alternator has 16pegs (coils) and two that are not coiled. It looks like the one shown as part no 610902. I have searched the net over and no amp info is available that I can find. This is important for me to match the proper regulator. Thanks for any help you can provide.

JWB

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

need alternator help Empty Re: need alternator help

Post  TKW January 25th 2014, 4:03 pm

hi JB , this is for a 20 amp system. / tim

TKW

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2011-10-13

Back to top Go down

need alternator help Empty ALTERNATOR HELP

Post  Georgia SS January 25th 2014, 7:27 pm

WHILE THE DISCUSSION IS ON ALTERNATORS, I HAVE SEVERAL SEARS WITH ONAN & TECUMSEH ENGINES. I HAVE BEEN THINKING THE SAME RECTIFIER WORKS ON BOTH ENGINES. DOES THE RECTIFIER ACT AS A VOLT REGULATOR, ALSO I THINK THERE IS ABOUT THREE AMP SIZES OF THE CHARGING COILS, AM I RIGHT? I AM GOING TO TAKE THE RECTIFIER BRIDGE OUT OF A DELCO ALTERNATOR, TAKE OUT ONE POSITIVE & ONE NEGETIVE DIODE & CONNECT IT TO THE ENGINE CHARGING COILS. HAS ANY ONE THOUGHT OF TRYING THIS.
THANKS JIMMY

Georgia SS

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  TKW January 25th 2014, 7:53 pm

dang ! SS / jimmy , your thinking is way ahead of mine. i dont like dealing with the electrical stuff with these tractors. i feel lucky when my old metal starts and runs the hour and a half needed to mow the yard.

TKW

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2011-10-13

Back to top Go down

need alternator help Empty need alternator help

Post  JWB January 26th 2014, 7:15 am

Thanks Tim. Big help. Now all I need to do is find a matching paint in a rattle can. Hard to find it. It is a yellow with very light green tent. Tried the harvest gold, cat yellow, school bus yellow and none works. Would very much like to put this ST 16 back to original color. Anyone have a suggestion?

JWB

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum