Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gas tank

2 posters

Go down

gas tank Empty gas tank

Post  hillbill May 27th 2008, 1:37 am

does anyone make a plastic version of the original tank?

hillbill

Back to top Go down

gas tank Empty Re: gas tank

Post  spence May 27th 2008, 11:23 am

I've never seen a duplicate of an older style, Tecumseh tank which was mounted under the hood. That's not saying they weren't made though.

I have seen plastic tanks for the newer Suburbans that were mounted under the seat.

Of course, EBay would be your friend in the search for any of these tanks.

I had looked at mounting a larger tank under the hood at one point. The only one I could find (link below) was expensive and would have required relocating the battery.

http://fluids.flambeau.com/carb/carb_tanks.html

spence
Admin

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

gas tank Empty gas tank

Post  Hillbilly May 28th 2008, 1:03 am

ok so is there anyway to clean the old ones out i got 3 of them but i wouldnt want to use them
Hillbilly
Hillbilly

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-05-28

Back to top Go down

Post  spence May 28th 2008, 2:45 pm

ok so is there anyway to clean the old ones out i got 3 of them but i wouldnt want to use them

It depends what is in the tanks. If it's corrosion, then it may be best to just find another tank. You can seal the tanks with a product like that at the link below:

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/Tank-Sealers_c_7-1-0.html

If it's just crud, then the most effective way to clean it that I've found is to put solvent in the tank, put in some 1/4" washers and shake it for a while.

spence
Admin

Back to top Go down

gas tank Empty gas tank

Post  Hillbilly May 28th 2008, 4:39 pm

thanks yove give me some ideas so what did you decide to use on yours?
Hillbilly
Hillbilly

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-05-28

Back to top Go down

Post  spence May 29th 2008, 11:08 am

Hillbilly wrote:thanks yove give me some ideas so what did you decide to use on yours?

I've been fortunate on the old tractors. Most of the tanks have just had old grass stems and sludge in them. A cleaning is all that has been necessary.

I've had mixed results restoring rusty motorcycle tanks. A replacement tank for a classic cycle costs a lot more than a tractor tank, so I used a product called Kreem to coat the tanks. It worked as a short-term fix on the one bike, but began to flake off......major problem! I must take the blame for that one though, as I didn't spend a lot of time on the prep. I've used it a couple other times with good results. Make sure you take out the shut-off valve before using any tank sealant. Smile

spence
Admin

Back to top Go down

gas tank Empty Fuel tanks

Post  jbaffo January 9th 2009, 1:52 pm

The best bet, or at least the fix I used, was to replace my steel tank with a plastic, under the seat, tank from another tractor. You will need to find a good safe route for the fuel line but the under seat location is far better than the original. The replacement tank is bigger also, so no more refilling a fuel tank right next to a hot engine, or as I did, waiting a half hour before refilling and resuming mowing.

jbaffo

Back to top Go down

Post  \gary January 12th 2009, 7:56 am

I have seen plastic tanks for under the hood. I was told at one time Sears sold them as a replacment for the metal tank.

The Kreem works well but like spence said prep is very importain. Don't take any short cuts. It takes like 3 days to do it the right way. It ain't cheap either, $40 for the kit.

If you use the big pastic tank under the seat you need the bigger seat spring, tank and the tank mounting bracket. It crouds the straight shifter's a little, but will work ok. The tractors will the plastic tanks had a bent shifter to help make room.

\gary

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down