Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for rear axle seals 68 Custom 10XL

3 posters

Go down

Looking for rear axle seals  68 Custom 10XL Empty Looking for rear axle seals 68 Custom 10XL

Post  Dann757 December 29th 2014, 3:27 pm

I have a leaky rear axle seal on my 68 Sears Custom 10 XL. I'm looking for info on if these are available anywhere. The seal looks like nylon, and it looks like it is retained with a wire spring clip. Looks like it rides on the inner bearing race and not the axle itself. I could possibly fit a modern seal designed to ride on a 1" shaft, I could clean the housing real well and glue the seal to the housing! I have a much newer Sears Craftsman dozer plow rigged to this machine, I use it! Thanks if anybody can help. Model # is 917.25260
Dan

Dann757

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2012-01-04

Back to top Go down

Looking for rear axle seals  68 Custom 10XL Empty Re: Looking for rear axle seals 68 Custom 10XL

Post  spence January 1st 2015, 7:04 pm

I can't help you specifically with your part, but in general I've found that a good bearing supply house will have what you need. It would have cost Roper extra to have special seals made up for their application, so I have learned that most of what I need is a standard off the shelf item.

On a related note, I rebuild the rear on a 1984 Honda TRX200 last winter. The bearings and seals in that were also standard (metric) sizes that I was able to cross index and purchase online. The original parts were NLA, and even the few NOS parts I found on Ebay were $$$. I saved at least $100 in bearing costs alone.

If you don't have a good bearing supply nearby, make precise measurements of what you need and see what you can find online.

Have you checked partsdirect.com?  I put your model number in and saw many parts still listed for the transmission. The part numbers on the diagram aren't real clear, but if you know what you are looking for you can figure it out.

spence
Admin

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

Looking for rear axle seals  68 Custom 10XL Empty update

Post  Dann757 January 1st 2015, 11:17 pm

Thanks for your reply! Here's what I found out. I needed a loupe to see the # on the bearing seal, it's said NACHI JAPAN 1010-X1. It's a 1" x 2" x 9/16" bearing. I got a cross reference to a 1641-2RS bearing. I have a couple of those ordered, sealed, they will solve the problem if necessary. I'm pretty sure the back bearings are supposed to be greased. I put too much oil in the trans, and it got in the tubes and worked its way past the bearing. The seal seems to be more of a dust seal for grease than an oil seal.
I'll check the oil level and I did pack the bearing with grease and put the seal back on with its wire c-clip.
And thanks for the partsdirect lead.

Thanks again!

Dann757

Back to top Go down

Looking for rear axle seals  68 Custom 10XL Empty Re: Looking for rear axle seals 68 Custom 10XL

Post  ss12 April 30th 2015, 9:52 am

alot of times your local advance auto parts can cross the old nubers and get them.. id did the same with the bearings for my deck and my advance had them in stock..seals are sometimes a little more tricky
ss12
ss12

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2015-01-09

Back to top Go down

Looking for rear axle seals  68 Custom 10XL Empty thanks for reply

Post  Dann757 April 30th 2015, 10:06 am

Thanks for the reply. The solution is a common sealed bearing that is available. Original seals that were retained by a thin wire clip not practical or available. I used the machine all winter to plow snow off the driveway here! Great machine.

Dann757

Back to top Go down

Post  ss12 April 30th 2015, 10:25 am

All the suburbans were great machines. I didn't get a chance this year to push any snow as I didn't pick up my doZer blade until a could weeks ago but there's always next year
ss12
ss12

Back to top Go down

Looking for rear axle seals  68 Custom 10XL Empty dozer blade

Post  Dann757 April 30th 2015, 10:42 am

I found a dozer blade on craigs a couple summers ago for a good price, with some hardware and weights. I was proud of myself for rigging it up to the 68. The deck lift arm wasn't meant to go up and down all the time, but it has held up OK. I have a vid of plowing snow, will have to find a way to post it here.

Dann757

Back to top Go down

Post  ss12 April 30th 2015, 11:05 am

Ya id like to see it
ss12
ss12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down