Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Onan Oil Burner

2 posters

Go down

Onan Oil Burner Empty Onan Oil Burner

Post  JWB January 30th 2017, 4:56 pm

I have an 18 HP Onan BG twin engine. It ran great when I got it. no smoke. Suddenly when i tried to start it, the fly wheel would not turn forward as if something was stopping it. You could turn it in reverse direction. I removed the head and found a small screw between the valve head and seat. I inspected for damage to valve and seat and it appeared to be good. I replaced the head with new gaskets. It started right up and i cut it off. Next morning when I started it it smoked real bad thru the exhaust muffler. Real bad, blue smoke. When I let it run a while, it almost cleared up all but a small puff of blue smoke from the exhaust about every five seconds. Very small, hard to see. I would normally think it needed rings but with the above history it could have something to do with the valve. Someone advise me on this. No fun tearing it down for rings unless it is needed. ANY IDEAS ON THIS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

JWB

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

Onan Oil Burner Empty ONAN OIL BURNER

Post  Georgia SS February 1st 2017, 8:05 pm

HEY
IF IT AINT BROKE DON'T FIX IT, IS THERE OIL IN THE AIR FILTER FROM THE CRANKCASE BREATHER, CRANKCASE BREATHER STOPPED UP AND PUSHING OIL UP BY VALVE GUIDES, FUEL IN THE OIL, CHANGE OIL WITH 15/45 DIESEL OIL, ADD HALF OR ALL BLUE BOTTLE OF STP IN CRANKCASE.RUN IT AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. GOT TO BE MORE TO THE STORY,A SMALL SCREW UNDER A VALVE WON'T KEEP THE ENGINE FROM TURNING OVER, THE OBJECT THAT KEPT THE ENGINE FROM TURNING MAY HAVE DAMAGED THE PISTON, TIME WILL TELL.
GOOD LUCK
JIMMY IN SOUTH GEORGIA

Georgia SS

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  JWB February 2nd 2017, 7:46 am

Thanks Jimmy

Big thanks for the reply. I removed the rubber tube going from oil breather to air filter and found the (steel wool type material) Soaked with oil. No oil seemed to get to the air filter. Is this material same as steel wool? I need to replace it.

James

JWB

Back to top Go down

Onan Oil Burner Empty ONAN OIL BURNER

Post  Georgia SS February 2nd 2017, 8:15 am

HI
NO NOT STEEL WOOL,IF THE MATERIAL LOOKS AS FINE AS STEEL WOOL SOMEONE HAS REPLACED THE ORIGINAL FILTER sCREEN, THE WIRE MESH SHOULD LOOK A BRASS POT SCRUBBER, CLEAN, SOAK IN GAS OR SOME BLACK MAX CLEANER OR REPLACE, THE SCREEN IS AVAILABLE, IF THE SCREEN IS IN THE LARGE RUBBER HOSE, YOU NEED TO CHECK THE VENT VALVE DOWN IN THE VALVE COVER, CAN SEE THROUGH THE LARGE OPENING, IF THE VENT PIPE IS AN S SHAPED HOSE, VENT WILL NEED TO BE CHECKED AND CLEANED, A SER. THAT IS NEGLECTED. KEEP THESE OLD BABIES FULL OF CLEAN OIL AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT BLOWING A BIT OF OIL UP IN THE AIR FILTER OR SOME SMOKE, A LOOSE DIP STICK SEAL WILL MAKE OIL BLOW UP THE VENT TUBE, A BIT OF ELECTRICAL TAPE AROUND THE RUBBER SEAL AND A SMALL SPRING TO HOLD THE DIP STICK DOWN TIGHT, ALL FOR NOW, LATER
HANG IN THERE
JIMMY

Georgia SS

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  JWB February 2nd 2017, 11:30 am

Thanks again Jimmy

JWB