Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need to fabricate a lift assist for rear tiller

3 posters

Go down

Need to fabricate a lift assist for rear tiller  Empty Need to fabricate a lift assist for rear tiller

Post  rockylaurie61johnnyv July 1st 2020, 1:56 am

I have a SS10 beauty of a work horse as well as a SS15. I have used the SS10 for simple row cultivation of newly emerged weeds with the rear 3 point hitch. Now that i have reached 80+ years, the right shoulder can no longer use the lift handle on the right side to disengage the attachment. I tried adding some leverage with a handle but I can no longer manage. I have a Craftsman tiller attached to the SS15 and there is no way i can lift it up.
Realizing this forum is mainly on restoring these beauties, but I am asking from a practical usage standpoint.

Has anyone tried/fabricated a spring assist to the lift handle?

Is there a way to fabricate a lift handle forward to the right side of the chassis?
...I can't reach back anymore.

Was there ever a hydraulic of electrical assist device available.?

Our food bank /church kitchen garden is 1.5 acres and I can't walk with my old walk behind tillers for weed and grass control.

I tried to insert photos but i need help

rockylaurie61johnnyv

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2020-07-01

Back to top Go down

Need to fabricate a lift assist for rear tiller  Empty LIFT ASSIST

Post  Georgia SS July 4th 2020, 10:17 am

There is several options available, spring assist, hydrolic system or an original sears 12 volt electric lift. I am in the same boat. I believe there is an original sears on ebay now for $500.
Jimmy

Georgia SS

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Back to top Go down

Need to fabricate a lift assist for rear tiller  Empty Electric 3 Point Hitch

Post  JiminRI July 12th 2020, 11:51 pm

As stated above there was an electric 3 point hitch - model 917.253130 - which mounted to the draw bar. There is a copy of the manual at searstractormanuals.com.

There was also a Craftsman Electric Lift 486.24545 or 486.245451 but it worked with the sleeve hitch (486.24535).

JiminRI
JiminRI

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2014-04-07

Back to top Go down

Need to fabricate a lift assist for rear tiller  Empty TILLER LIFT ASSIST

Post  Georgia SS July 14th 2020, 8:56 pm

SOMETHING NOT VERY WELL KNOWN IS ROPER BUILT A SPECIAL PAIR OF LIFT ARMS FOR JUST THE HEAVY TILLER, TAKES ABOUT HALF THE EFFORT TO LIFT, IF INTERESTED I CAN GET A MEASUREMENT ON MINE, ANY WELDING SHOP CAN CUT, SHORTEN AND WELD YOURS. YOU SAID YOU ALREADY HAVE THE LIFT LEVER EXTENSION, THIS MAY HELP ENOUGH TO GET BY.

Georgia SS

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Back to top Go down

Need to fabricate a lift assist for rear tiller  Empty Re: Need to fabricate a lift assist for rear tiller

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down