Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to Forum - Having electrical Issue with ST12

2 posters

Go down

New to Forum - Having electrical Issue with ST12 Empty New to Forum - Having electrical Issue with ST12

Post  smcelhe July 16th 2012, 5:39 pm

My son has a 1976 ST12 garden tractor that he rides around and sometimes pulls a cart to haul firewood.

Several months ago he shut it off and it would not start...I cleaned the carb, put a new plug in (not a CJ8)....tried spraying starting fluid in the cylinder....it would not start. I had spark...but I don't think it was good spark. Several days later I put a CJ8 plug in it and it fired up.

He used the mower for several months....ran fine....lately I noticed that it was getting hard to start, especially after he ran it awhile. Yesterday it wouldn't start at all.

I put a new CJ8 plug in it....put starting fluid and gas in the cylinder....it won't start. I have spark, but I'm not sure the spark is all that great.

I was reading that the solid state ignition could be the issue....and that you can't buy new ones. I also saw where someone was making ignitions for these.

Is the problem with the external coil/ignition or with the piece behind the flywheel?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks Shawn

smcelhe

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-07-16

Back to top Go down

New to Forum - Having electrical Issue with ST12 Empty Re: New to Forum - Having electrical Issue with ST12

Post  spence July 17th 2012, 11:11 am

I agree with your assessment that the ignition may be at fault.

The guru for ignition issues and retrofits is Ed Stoller. He has a website that walks you through fixes for the ignition:

www.enginesandmagnets.com

Spence

spence
Admin

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

New to Forum - Having electrical Issue with ST12 Empty Re: New to Forum - Having electrical Issue with ST12

Post  smcelhe July 17th 2012, 5:30 pm

Thanks for the info.

Shawn

smcelhe

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down