Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suburban 12 transaxle pulley

4 posters

Go down

Suburban 12 transaxle pulley Empty Suburban 12 transaxle pulley

Post  marshallgang September 18th 2012, 4:58 pm

I have a 1968 Suburban 12 which is in need of a transmission pulley. The center of the pulley broke off so now the pulley spins freely. Part number 6461H2. Also need help with suggestions on how to get the nut loose that holds the pulley. tractor tires want to spin when I try to loosen. I ran a steel rod thru the wheels but then couldn't get enough leverage on my wrench to break the nut free. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

marshallgang

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2012-09-18

Back to top Go down

Suburban 12 transaxle pulley Empty SUBURBAN TRANS. PULLEY

Post  Georgia SS September 19th 2012, 11:07 pm

HI THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT. BEFORE YOU WASTE ANY MORE TIME HOIST THAT THING UP BY THE SEAT MOUNT, (REMOVE SEAT) TAKE OFF REAR TIRES, DISCONNECT BRAKE ROD (COTTER PIN)UP AT CROSS SHAFT AND REMOVE PARK BRAKE LEVER, AND LET BOLT GO BACK INTO FRAME, DON'T DISSASSEMBLE ANY OF THE BRAKE ROD, SURE TO GET THE COTTER PIN OUT OF HI/LOW LEVER, REMOVE 2 BOLTS RECESSED IN FRAME REAR OF GEAR SHIFT LEVER (5/8 SOCKET) AND THE THREE 3/8 BOLTS ON EACH SIDE OF VERY REAR FRAME THAT HOLD THE HITCH PLATE AND TRANS TO FRAME DROP DOWN TRANS. SOAK THE NUT AND THREADS WITH SOME GOOD PENETRATING OIL FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS AND THEN TRY AN IMPACT WRENCH ON THE NUT, PROBLEMS ARE NOT OVER WHEN YOU GET THE NUT OFF,STILL HAVE TO PULL THE PULLEY HUB OFF THE TAPERED SHAFT, NO HEAT , THERE IS A SEAL RIGHT BEHIND THE HUB AND YOU WOULD BURN IT. BE SURE WHEN LOOKING FOR A PULLEY THERE IS TWO SIZES. DON'T GO DRIVING A TOOL DOWN BACK TO KNOCK THE HUB OFF, OR YOU MAY BE LOOKING FOR A TRANS. THAT IS ABOUT MY TWO CENTS WORTH. I BELIEVE I HAVE RANTED ENOUGH. BUT YOU ASK. HAVE A GOOD ONE. GEORGIA SS

Georgia SS

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Back to top Go down

Suburban 12 transaxle pulley Empty Pulley removal

Post  sgdorcas September 24th 2012, 3:46 pm

Georgia had got it down to a science, once you get the nut off, a small gear puller may prove useful to pull the hub off, but be careful not to damage the end of the shaft, or it could mean transmission disasembly. Good Luck. Grant
sgdorcas
sgdorcas

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2011-10-14

Back to top Go down

Suburban 12 transaxle pulley Empty Re: Suburban 12 transaxle pulley

Post  searsnut October 3rd 2012, 11:39 am

The best thing you can do with working on old rusted parts is to soak them with penetrating oil, then wait. Soak them again, and wait some more. And wait...... TAP with a hammer every once in a while.

I've soaked some rusted things for a month before I've even thought about trying to loosen them. If you can turn the part so that gravity helps pull the penetrating oil down, then that's even better.

It takes patience to not just wrench away at it.....but if you meet resistance that still feels like the part is rusted, go back to the soak and wait routine.

searsnut

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-10-03

Back to top Go down

Suburban 12 transaxle pulley Empty Re: Suburban 12 transaxle pulley

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down