Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

st/16 running out of fuel

2 posters

Go down

st/16 running out of fuel Empty st/16 running out of fuel

Post  plowboy76 March 25th 2015, 9:28 am

Hey guys I have a 1976 Sears st/16 and I'm having trouble with the fuel pump.. I have rebuilt the pump a yeAr or so ago but it's acting up again. I pulled the crank case vacuum that goes to the pump and there seems to be oil in it. I took the vent off the head to clean it incase it was plugged be it seems fine. If I get the oil out of the line and restart it will run for a bit but then quit after about ten minutes. I haven't done a compression test yet but it just seems to run way to good to have to much blow by ... Any other ideas why it's doing this? Could the pump just be bad again and pull oil from the motor? Thanks

plowboy76

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2015-03-25

Back to top Go down

st/16 running out of fuel Empty Re: st/16 running out of fuel

Post  TKW March 26th 2015, 5:34 pm

PB to check fuel pump remove it from carb and attach another fuel source ,a gravity fed line ,to the carb and start engine you then can see whether the pump is maintaining a steady amout of fuel or if it is at fault. also check oil level an over fill will cause oil to get in the vacuum line or on an extreme down hill slope might do that too. just a thought or two to start narrowing problem down. keep us posted on what you find. > tim

TKW

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2011-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post  plowboy76 March 28th 2015, 8:46 am

I ended up changing the fuel pump with an aftermarket one I got the same results and even a no start. so I pulled the bowl off and cranked it over and still no fuel was coming out. so I adjusted the float to let more fuel in and it fired UP,and hasn't stalled since. I guess it's my own fault for not checking that first but the way It was acting it didn't seem like that was a problem I don't know how the float can just come out of adjustment after 40 years. there is still oil in the vacuum line but seems to be running fine also does anyone know the factory carb adjustments Thanks

plowboy76

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2015-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post  TKW March 28th 2015, 5:23 pm

glad to hear you found your problem ! carburetor adjustments to start are  1 turn off seat for both the high speed screw and idle screw , then with the engine warm run it up to full throttle and adjust high speed screw until it runs smooth , then back to idle , set idle speed and then adjust idle screw until it again runs smooth . turn screws an 1/8 or so at a time .  hope this helps > tim

TKW

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2011-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum