Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aging out...want to sell my Suburban stuff

2 posters

Go down

Aging out...want to sell my Suburban stuff Empty Aging out...want to sell my Suburban stuff

Post  kwms1956 June 7th 2019, 4:23 pm

Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules here.  I just joined this forum today, and the irony is that I'm looking to cash out my chips on Suburban stuff I've loved and used for some 35 years.  I live in central North Carolina near Greensboro, and all stuff I have would need to be picked up there.  I'm not into shipping any of it.  Sorry.  Hopefully all that I have would be of interest to someone even if it meant a special trip to get it.

I'll send a PDF sheet with all info and photos to anyone who contacts me.   The bottom line is that I still USE my Suburban Custom 10 XL weekly, if not more often, to mow my roughly 1 acre of open field.  I've had and used this tractor for about 35 years.  This machine has original solid cast iron 10 hp Tecumseh engine.  I have the original owners manual for the engine, and photocopy owners manual for the tractor.

• Besides the tractor itself (which has 38" steel deck, no rust-throughs).  Mowing deck model # 917.250520.  I have the original owner's manual.  I've replaced seals and bearings in deck, and a couple of years back I replaced splined jack-shaft and hardened splined couplings.

• Mounted on the tractor now is the Sears 3-point category 0 hitch as well as the mounting point for the front bucket.  I do have that pretty rare attachment...the front bucket.  It is just a carrying thingy which must be manually raised into position.  It dumps via release handle.  So I don't keep the bucket on the tractor...just the mount for it.  But I do have the bucket.  Sears referred to this in lit as "Tote box for Sears CUSTOM and COMPACT Tractors."   Model # is 662.264250

• Disk harrow.  I bought this at an auction, and it was a blue color and had David Bradley markings as opposed to Sears.  But it is the right one for the tractor and has the category 0.  I have the original Sears owners manual for this part:  Model # 917.252110

• Furrowing tool (original Sears).  The official Sears manual (which I have) calls this a "sweep-holder."  Model # 917.251090  This is category 0.

• Leveler blade.  Model # 917.251330  Have original owners manual.  This is category 0.

• I have the original owners manual for the 3-point hitch.  And as I mentioned above, I have the hitch itself...and a spare one that I might part with.  Model # 917.253050.  In the manual I have for the hitch it covers the 10" plow.  I have the plow implement see below.

• A set of stock Sears rear wheel weights for this tractor.

• I have the original owners manual for the Hauling Dump Cart (model 402.98701) which I feel certain my friend bought when he obtained the tractor.  However, I did not purchase this from him when I bought the other stuff.  The bottom line is that I have a bunch of original literature/owners manuals and other technical/repair books.

• I have what I think is a very rare implement.  This is a category 0 "box scrape."  I'm sure it's not Sears, but it is commercially made and of the  time period.  It has four retractable teeth so it can rip and then be used to smooth.  This is the one implement I'm tempted to keep, but I would part with it for the right price.

• A set of chains that fit the rear wheels on the 10 XL.  The guy who sold me the tractor made these up from some old truck chains (at one point around WW II he was a truck driver).  These fit perfectly and really do enhance grip when doing hard pulling.

• TWO of the David Bradley/Sears transmissions I've acquired as spares but never had to use.  And I probably would never need to.  These are the single range and not the high/low like on my tractor. But they are physically the same, as mine with the exception of the high/low lever and functionality.  Bought them just for the long-haul as insurance.

• I'm sure I'll uncover some other stuff that I have as spares, and any and all of that would go along with what I've listed.  As I type, I'm reminded that I have two brand new front tires that I never installed.

This is long, but it does not appear that this forum really has a classifieds section that I could identify.  If I've committed a violation, I'm not going to be offended if the posting gets removed.  I've gotten to the age where I need something more modern that my wife and I can both operate.  And I want my stuff to go to a good home.  I've loved it, but now it's time to let go.  I'm not a collector of Suburban stuff nor am I some sort of repairman for lawn and garden stuff.  I'm just a user of it that happened to acquire most of this equipment at one time from an elderly friend, and I've used to maintain my 3-acre homestead all these years.  Along the way I've obtained a few other implements and parts.

kwms1956

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2019-06-07

Back to top Go down

Aging out...want to sell my Suburban stuff Empty Re: Aging out...want to sell my Suburban stuff

Post  Roland1957 November 1st 2019, 8:34 am

You still have the original owners manual for the Hauling Dump Cart (model 402.98701) ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AgriDane - agricultural machinery specs : tractors, combine harvesters and telescopic handlers

Last edited by Roland1957 on November 10th 2021, 10:30 am; edited 3 times in total

Roland1957

Registration date : 2019-11-01

https://www.agridane.com

Back to top Go down

Aging out...want to sell my Suburban stuff Empty Dump cart manual

Post  kwms1956 November 1st 2019, 10:21 am

I don't have that manual anymore. I sold the whole lot of items as listed in my original post to a fellow who collects and lives in Central, VA. He seems to be fairly active on this forum. He should have it and might part with it unless he wants it to go along with other items (perhaps he has a cart like this) in his collection. Sorry.

kwms1956

Registration date : 2019-06-07

Back to top Go down

Aging out...want to sell my Suburban stuff Empty Re: Aging out...want to sell my Suburban stuff

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down