Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HOW DO YOU WIRE A TOGGLE SWITHCH

4 posters

Go down

HOW DO YOU WIRE A TOGGLE SWITHCH Empty HOW DO YOU WIRE A TOGGLE SWITHCH

Post  JWB March 28th 2012, 3:01 pm

OK, stuck again. I have a tec HH120 on my 98 suburban. Has starter, no generator. The original ignition switch is missing and I want to put a toggle switch on it. I thought it would be simple but seems the tractor will only start with switch off.

When I turn the toggle to on position, I have fire to the engine ignition system but tractor will crank but plug will not fire. Turn the toggle to off position, I have no fire to the engine ignition and tractor will crank and start.

Driving me nuts and I am already crazy.

JWB

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

HOW DO YOU WIRE A TOGGLE SWITHCH Empty INSTALLING A TOGGLE SWITCH

Post  Georgia SS March 30th 2012, 11:48 pm

HI I WILL ANSWER YOUR QUESTION WITH A QUESTION. WHY NOT REPLACE THE IGNITION SWITCH THE WAY IT SHOULD BE. NOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS GOING TO COST YOU A LOT OF MONEY IF YOU INTEND TO KEEP YOUR TRACTOR WORKING. I BELIEVE YOU ARE SENDING 12 VOLTS INTO YOUR IGN. COIL ON A GROUND CIRCUIT. YOUR TOGGLE SWITCH IS ACTING AS A KILL SWITCH. I BELIEVE YOU WILL FIND THE IGNITION SWITCH HAS A GROUND TERMINAL TO FINISH THE CIRCUIT FOR A KILL SWITCH. IF I AM WRONG SOMEONE TELL ME SO.

Georgia SS

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Back to top Go down

HOW DO YOU WIRE A TOGGLE SWITHCH Empty HOW DO YOU WIRE A TOGGLE SWITHCH

Post  sgdorcas April 6th 2012, 8:21 am

Georgia is right, there are lots of inexpensive replacement ignition switches out ther that may not be an exact match, but will work fine with minimun fuss. Your ignition switch handles multiple circuits, so you will likely need at least 2 toggles to make it work at all. an on off for the power, and a pulse switch for the starter, and then you need to make sure the charging system is still going to work. It's a bit of a make work project, trust us a proper Ign S/W is a better way to go.
sgdorcas
sgdorcas

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2011-10-14

Back to top Go down

HOW DO YOU WIRE A TOGGLE SWITHCH Empty RE Toggle Switch

Post  WMass713 April 6th 2012, 9:42 am

I agree, Tractor supply has a universal ignition switch for around 5 bucks, I just got one for my 66 Suburban 12, my tractor happens to use a starter/generator so it only needs 2 posts, the universal has 3. If that doesn't work most small engine repair shops can order any type of switch for around 15 bucks, but definatley stick with what was working, it save alot of money on parts and even more money on aspirin for the headaches it causes.

WMass713

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-03-28

Back to top Go down

HOW DO YOU WIRE A TOGGLE SWITHCH Empty Re: HOW DO YOU WIRE A TOGGLE SWITHCH

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down