Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dual rear wheels SS18?

2 posters

Go down

Dual rear wheels SS18? Empty Dual rear wheels SS18?

Post  cpfullback November 17th 2012, 10:54 am

Does anyone know where I could pick up a kit for rigging up dual rear wheels on my SS18? I saw a universal one on eBAY but it looks flimsy and only comes with 4 lugs, my wheels have 5. Anyone else done this? Any help appreciated.

Thanks and regards

cpfullback

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-11-11

Back to top Go down

Dual rear wheels SS18? Empty Re: Dual rear wheels SS18?

Post  TAHOE November 19th 2012, 11:04 am

Miller Tire sells a spacer kit, but it's just a ring and 4 bolts. I personally like the steel square box setup myself.
Even though you have 5 lugs, these wheel spacers are designed to use the outer 4 holes on the wheels normally used for wheel weights. Unless you make some kind of spacer your self, no one I have seen makes a 5 lugs spacer that works off the hub, all are larger that use the outer 4 holes.

Are you running a loader? Dual wheel aare lind of useless IMHO, unless needed for side to side stabilization of a loader.

TAHOE

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2012-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post  cpfullback November 26th 2012, 9:02 pm

Tahoe,

Thanks for the reply...that makes sense now, to be honest I wasn't sure how those hookups worked but now that I looked at them what you said makes sense. I have a spare 'parts' unit which I could scavenge the wheels from. Do you think a single set of lugs would be better than a dual setup of turf tires? Just looking for good traction and more stability on hills and such.

Thanks again,

cpfullback

Back to top Go down

Post  TAHOE November 27th 2012, 1:07 pm

I run a set of Deestone Ags 23 x 10.50 x 12 I got from Greater Cleveland tire on my ST/16. I have them loaded with 6 gals of windshield wiper fluid each and 35# wheel weights on each side. I cut some pretty steep hills at my parents both sideways and up/down and I have more problems with front end being light than the rear. I just think duals onthe rear are more of a hindurance other than using for loader stability, look cool though Very Happy
I think you would be fine also loaded the rear turfs and added a set of chains. I know a guy who has used that set up all year round for both mowing and a loader and never had traction issues.
on side note, the Deestones run a little skinny, the 10.50's actually measure just at 8.50 mounted. Next time I will look for Carlisles or maybe go with a set of Duro or the trencher tires on GCT's website.

TAHOE

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2012-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post  cpfullback November 27th 2012, 11:38 pm

Thanks for the feedback, you make some good points and its nice to hear from someone who has been there and done that....I'll consider the lugs as well.

cpfullback

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down