Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Honda Engine Transplant, (Suburban)

2 posters

Go down

Honda Engine Transplant, (Suburban) Empty Honda Engine Transplant, (Suburban)

Post  Brian May 12th 2009, 10:54 pm

I have a 1971 Sears Suburban 12. It hasnt been running in 2 years and we made a homemade starter (engine wont electricly start). And it does seem to be getting gas. But my dad and I have had the thought of buying a Honda motor in it. We are thinking of swaping them. But the mojor factors would be shaft size, mount holes and pully setup. Has anybody done a swap like this?

Brian

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-03-23

Back to top Go down

Honda Engine Transplant, (Suburban) Empty honda motor

Post  dave79 May 16th 2009, 10:29 am

I think the biggest pain will be the mount holes for the clutch linkage/plate,that bolts to the side of the motor. the pulley won't be an issue if you are going to buy a motor, most 12 horsepower rated engines use a one inch shaft. what is wrong with the motor that came on it? if it is getting gas there must be no spark. did you clean the points? points are very tricky you clean them with a clean piece of cardboard, thin like a matchbook cover.once they make contact they will keep working. if they are burnt or really pitted fold a piece of emery paper and shine them up, then clean them with cardboard. what kind of motor is it? B+S? tecumseh? if it has been sitting around it may have a piece of carbon under a valve or something simple like that. I just got my 67 suburban 10 running this week, it has a plow blade mower deck and sickle bar attatchments. keep us informed dave

dave79

Back to top Go down

Honda Engine Transplant, (Suburban) Empty Re: Honda Engine Transplant, (Suburban)

Post  spence May 16th 2009, 10:38 am

It depends what you want the tractor for. If it's going to be a show tractor, then get the original motor running. If you want it to use around the house, the Honda will be quieter, shake less and give better gas economy....IMHO.

The clutch dilemma is easily solved by remounting the clutch pulley onto a rod that is mounted between the sides of the dash/cowling. I've seen it done before and even had a pic of it around here somewhere if I could only find it. You might have to get the pulled reamed and sleeved to fit the Honda.

spence
Admin

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

Honda Engine Transplant, (Suburban) Empty Re: Honda Engine Transplant, (Suburban)

Post  spence May 19th 2009, 11:16 am

Here's the homemade linkage picture. Don't know where it came from; let me know if you recognize it so I can give proper credit.

Honda Engine Transplant, (Suburban) Clutch11

spence
Admin

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian May 24th 2009, 2:08 pm

Heh, i dont wanna replace it anymore. listen to this baby puuuur!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKfjZoNVpHI&feature=channel_page

Brian

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-03-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down