Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

carb leaks gas when running

2 posters

Go down

carb leaks gas when running Empty carb leaks gas when running

Post  freddy October 23rd 2011, 7:13 pm

i need help on this one. bought a sears tractor with a 16 hp tecumseh. motor would flood while running, took it apart,cleaned everything , put in a new needle, cleaned seat very good with q-tip, its a fixed seat. put it back together and gas continues to run out the float while cranking or running. ive taken this thing apart 4 times to no avail. what am i missing? could pump be over riding needle ? Float is adjusted level with housing and does not leak. I can blow into inlet, turn it upside down and it seals fine. im stumped. valves adjusted at .004 both sides.

freddy

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

carb leaks gas when running Empty Leaky carb

Post  nysearsnut October 26th 2011, 9:46 am

I have three of these engines in my st's and have had this type of trouble with two of them.
My problems were caused by a pinhole in the float itself. It was hard to diagnose because by the time I got around to taking the carb apart, the float had drained out and appeared normal. One day I had some extra time to fuss with it and took the carb apart immediately after it started flooding/leaking and found gas sloshing inside the float. New float = problem solved.....at least for mine. Good luck

nysearsnut

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-10-14

Back to top Go down