Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BLUE SUBURBAN PAINT

3 posters

Go down

BLUE SUBURBAN PAINT Empty BLUE SUBURBAN PAINT

Post  JWB March 26th 2014, 9:52 am

Has anyone found a good blue suburban matching paint in a rattle can?? Thanks 

JWB

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

BLUE SUBURBAN PAINT Empty Re: BLUE SUBURBAN PAINT

Post  Briggs16 August 14th 2014, 6:59 am

That delightful blue we see on so many Sears - I have been trying to find out about it for ages. I think it's an old fashioned coloured etch primer/paint as it seems to have no undercoat and is straight onto bare aluminium and steel.

The name of that blue? YouTube characters seem to call it 'Jade Mist' and almost worship it, but it seems to me they are overlooking one basic fact - Jade is GREEN! I suggest 'Jade Mist' is actually that unpopular dull green that is rare because nobody loves it, poor thing. I saw reference to a Sears tractor colour called 'Aqua' which is my top suspect name for our beloved pale blue metallic. Whatever.
But as nobody seems to have any mixing codes for any of the colours or even a colour swatch card, it's all a bit theoretical...

T155 rattle can is generally thought a good match but I plan taking an unfaded component (toolbox underside) to an auto body paint place to be matched up. That relies on the personal skill of the mixing guy but hey. They can do any quantity in a can or put it in a rattle can for you.

Like to hear any thoughts on our famous elusive blue...

Briggs16

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  spence August 18th 2014, 11:09 am

I was fortunate enough to purchase some old Sears documents on Ebay some time ago showing the paint colors. Sears did indeed call it Jade Mist for some unknown reason:

http://vintagesearsgardentractors.com/paint.pdf

Spence

spence
Admin

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Briggs16 August 25th 2014, 9:13 am

Ok Jade Mist it is ;-) well I've spent time at the auto paint mixing place comparing their colour cards to my SUburban where the sun don't shine like underneath the toolbox and the patch under the lamp. We found a perfect colour match....
MIPA B-5-02190-500
It's a 2 part system so a basecoat that needs a lacquer over it. Not sure it'll look right, might be too varnished looking? Anyone used it? And it's a pain in the butt 2 part process. Can you just not bother with the lacquer - no, the Basecoat on its own without the lacquer has no strength and rubs off easy.
They only recently threw out an Older system that was a one part metallic, that would be better. Maybe somewhere else still has it....
The search goes on!

Briggs16

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down