Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ran Into stumbling block... Rusted sterring nut

2 posters

Go down

Ran Into stumbling block... Rusted sterring nut Empty Ran Into stumbling block... Rusted sterring nut

Post  buzzcuzz March 28th 2009, 12:14 pm

I am tearing the entire ST16 down to the bare bones to restore. However, after removing the metal Disc (Sears Logo) Disc on the sterring Wheel nut cover cover. It was full of water, totally rusted... all the edges of nut, rusted... rounded off and no way to remove. I went to Sears, bought a socket type thing that should have grabbed it. I got 2 sizes. One is too small, the other to large for the nut? Any thoughts on removing that sterring wheel nut in bad shape. Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks guys. Buzz

buzzcuzz

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-03-22

Back to top Go down

Ran Into stumbling block... Rusted sterring nut Empty rust tight

Post  Gary 1 March 28th 2009, 1:44 pm

Buzz
They are always a problem. Some guys soak them for day/week with PB blaster. Sometimes it works sometime it does not. Check this out.

http://www.geocities.com/sware56920/How_to.html

Myself I have cut the steering wheel off being careful not to cut the shaft. Then get another steering wheel.
The last restore I did I worked around leaving the dash on, but unbolted so I could move it a round. I cheated because I did not want to mess with the steering wheel this time.

[img]Ran Into stumbling block... Rusted sterring nut 000_2478[/img]

[img]Ran Into stumbling block... Rusted sterring nut 000_2484[/img]

[img]Ran Into stumbling block... Rusted sterring nut 000_2488[/img]

[img]Ran Into stumbling block... Rusted sterring nut 000_2494[/img]

[img]Ran Into stumbling block... Rusted sterring nut 000_2500[/img]

Gary 1

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-02-14

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum