Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sterring bushings

3 posters

Go down

sterring bushings Empty sterring bushings

Post  ronnie leigh November 26th 2010, 8:47 am

Question Can anybody tell me the inside and outside measurements in thousandths
of the steering bushings used in the ST and Suburbans.I have a used set but need opinions
on how to tell how much wear they might have had or approx.how many more thousandths
they might possibly should be.Also what's the best method to remove and install these things.Any "old hands"
have advice.Thanks

ronnie leigh

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-02-20

Back to top Go down

sterring bushings Empty steering bushings

Post  davidderouchey December 26th 2013, 1:03 pm

I ran across this post the other night while looking for answers for my drive belt problem. I know that this is an old post, but maybe I can help somebody in the future.

I am assuming and answering for the 1309H bushing that I replaced in my 1968 ss12, that are in the front axle, where the wheel spindle goes in.

I replaced mine with NAPA 4337. Barcode R554251. It takes 2 on each side. Maybe somebody knows of something better, but these have worked great for me for the last 11 years.

dave

davidderouchey

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

sterring bushings Empty STEERING BUSHINGS

Post  Georgia SS December 26th 2013, 4:03 pm

HI DAVID
I THINK RONNIE WAS TALKING ABOUT THE UPPER & LOWER STEERING SHAFT BUSHINGS, SHAFT THAT THE STEERING WHEEL GOES ON. THE ONLY WAY TO REMOVE THEM IS WITH A LONG ROD AND HAMMER, WILL MESS THE BUSHING UP A BIT BUT CAN BE REUSED, HAVE USED MY ALUMINUM CAN BUSHING INSIDE SOME, AS THEY ARE NOT AVAILABLE. IF RONNIE WAS TALKING ABOUT THE AXEL BUSHING WOULD BE HARD TO GET OUT AND REUSE, I WOULD TAKE A SHARP POINT PUNCH & HAMMER TO CUT THE BUSHING OUT. THANKS FOR THE BUSHING # IN THE FRONT AXEL, THAT NAPA # IS A STARTER BUSHING, GOOD TO KNOW, ANY PARTS HOUSE SHOULD BE ABLE TO CROSS OVER THAT #. NEVER NEEDED ANY, I GUESS BECAUSE WE DON'T USE SNOW PLOWS OR BLADES IN THE SOUTH. WHILE WE ARE TALKING BUSHINGS, THE FT. WHEEL BUSHINGS ARE AVAILABLE AT MOST SUPPLY HOUSES, ONLY USE THE METAL ONES LIKE ROPER USED AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT, THERE IS SEVERAL PLASTIC REPLACEMENTS OUT THERE. NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEM WITH THE BUSHINGS ON THE CLUTCH BELT LEVER UNDER THE BATTERY TRAY, BUT THE 1976 AND UP ST & GT MODIFIED THAT LEVER MOUNT TO WORK IN A BUSHING ON THE FRAME SIDE PLATE & THOSE GET LOOSE VERY QUICK, COULD HAVE SOME MADE, BUT THE CHEAPEST & QUICK WAY WAS TO GO TO A STARTER-ALTERNATOR SHOP & FITTED BUSHING INSIDE BUSHING FOR A GOOD FIT, IF YOU HAVE SOME SHAFT WEAR THE STARTER BUSHINGS COME IN OVER SIZE, WORKS FINE.
THANKS JIMMY
GEORGIA SS

Georgia SS

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Back to top Go down

sterring bushings Empty Re: sterring bushings

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum