Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snowblower Questions

4 posters

Go down

Snowblower Questions Empty Snowblower Questions

Post  marshallgang October 26th 2015, 10:49 am

Earlier this year I bought a 42" snowblower 842.260052 for my Suburban SS15. There is an eyebolt & hook assembly that fits in the frame of the tractor to secure & allow belt tension adjustment. unfortunately the hook is bent & so it makes it hard to figure out where/how it attaches to the tractor frame. the hook is a v-shaped steel rod, both ends having been bent back 180 degrees to allow it to hook onto holes in the tractor frame. trouble is it doesnt seem to line up with any holes in can hook into. The drawings in the manual dont show how the hook fits either so i dont know if im even on the right track. Has anyone dealt with these snowblowers that can give me some help? I sure would like to get it set up for this winter. I think its called a Hamman style blower. Thanks.

marshallgang

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2012-09-18

Back to top Go down

Snowblower Questions Empty Re:Snowblower Questions

Post  Georgia SS October 26th 2015, 10:04 pm

Hi
Does this snowblower have it own part that fits in front of frame in place of the mule drive, or does it use the attachment adapter.
Good Luck
Jimmy

Georgia SS

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Back to top Go down

Snowblower Questions Empty Re: Snowblower Questions

Post  marshallgang October 27th 2015, 7:14 am

Hi Jimmy, my name is Dan. Thanks for the reply. Yes, this blower has its own part that slides into the frame of the tractor. The mule drive is removed, this part of the blower slides in. It has a universal joint type set up to power the auger.

marshallgang

Back to top Go down

Snowblower Questions Empty an answer

Post  davidderouchey October 27th 2015, 7:12 pm

1) Slide the part of the blower that has the snowthower drive pulley, and drive shaft, into the front of the tractor.

2) The "v" hook and its attached rod, that has threads on the end....The "v" hooks hook into holes, on top of where the part from above slide into the front of the tractor. Hooks pointed down. (The holes can be a little tricky to find, and get the hooks into. Have good light, and feel around.) The rod, with the threaded end goes into the welded bracket on top of #1 part. Then it has a screw on handle, or just use nuts to tighten the rod to the #1 part. This is what keeps it secure to the tractor.

davidderouchey

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post  marshallgang October 28th 2015, 6:56 am

Ok good, so there are holes back there somewhere. I think part of my problem is the hook part was bent in several places by the previous owner. I assume each leg of the "V" is supposed to be straight, even and a mirror image of each other. Do you have one you could take a photo of and post or sent to me? Maybe I could get it straightened or re-made.

marshallgang

Back to top Go down

Post  marshallgang October 28th 2015, 7:00 am

Sorry send it not sent. Thanks

marshallgang

Back to top Go down

Snowblower Questions Empty each leg

Post  davidderouchey October 28th 2015, 10:37 pm

Yes, each leg should be straight, and form a nice looking "V".

I am away from home until Friday. Then I can send you the exact measurements. Getting it all correct is enough of a problem, without having the "V" not go into the holes perfectly. I would work really hard to get the real part straight. Starting with another rod will be nothing but problems.

I might have been wrong in my previous steps. You might need to hook the "V", into the two holes, with the rod with threads attached. Then keeping the "V" in place and snug, slid the pulley part into the front of the tractor.

I think you can get at the hooks and holes by reaching in from the back of the front axle.

You can call me Thursday Oct 29th, 10am-5pm.
641-521-1758
dave

davidderouchey

Back to top Go down

Post  marshallgang October 29th 2015, 6:44 am

Ok, thanks very much Dave, measuements would be great. I'll talk to you after I get the measurements as I'm sure I'll have questions.

marshallgang

Back to top Go down

Snowblower Questions Empty Measurements

Post  davidderouchey October 29th 2015, 11:22 pm

Lay the hook in front of you, bottom of "V" closest to you, hooks facing up. It should be a "nice" looking "V". It should lay flat on the surface.

1) Both hooks are bent a little more than 90 degrees, back towards the bottom of the "V". Not a lot, just enough to hold in the holes. Measured from the inside of the hook, each hook is about 3/4" long.
2) From outside of one hook, to the outside of the other hook (left to right) is 4 1/4".
3) Lay a straight edge, flat on the surface, across the top (furthest away from you) of the hooks. Measured down to the very bottom (outside of the rod) of the "V" should be 3 1/2".

Hope this helps.
dave

davidderouchey

Back to top Go down

Post  marshallgang October 30th 2015, 7:23 am

I think it will. Thanks again. Now I just need to find someone to straighten this thing.

marshallgang

Back to top Go down

Post  marshallgang November 3rd 2015, 2:52 pm

dave,
my measurements are pretty close to your #1 & #2 which is remarkable considering how many bends there are.
measurement #3 is off however - I'm getting more like 41/2 inches. so let me repeat what you told me to see if my interpretation is correct. If the hook is laid down with the hooks down, you are measuring from the top of one side of the "V" to the bottom where the sides meet, correct? So both sides would be 31/2 inches long. I'm getting about 41/2 inches, i just measured again. not as critical a measurement as the other two probably.

marshallgang

Back to top Go down

Snowblower Questions Empty clarification

Post  davidderouchey November 3rd 2015, 4:36 pm

reread my previous post.
1) Hooks pointed up.
2) Measurement was top of "V" to bottom of "V", in the center left/right, of the top part.

I suspect you have it shaped correct, just measured wrong place.

Call me if you want to.
641-521-1758
dave

davidderouchey

Back to top Go down

Snowblower Questions Empty See Owner's manual for how to install the hook

Post  JiminRI November 6th 2015, 6:46 pm

David,

I have the same snow thrower on an SS-16. If you have a copy of the owner's manual, go to page 20 and look at part numbers 68, 69, 4, 36 and 37. Part 69 is your hook - it threads through part 68. Part 68 goes through the slot in part 4 and the hole at the front (left in the diagram). The hook, part 69, then goes over the frame and is secured with 36 and 37 to secure the snow thrower to the frame of the tractor.
See image described above https://i.servimg.com/u/f21/19/19/94/75/hook11.jpg[/img]

If you need a copy of the manual you can download it at http://www.stripmine.org/sears/

Good luck,
JiminRI
JiminRI
JiminRI

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2014-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post  JiminRI June 19th 2016, 11:51 pm

Hey Marshallgang,

Did you ever get the snowblower working?
JiminRI
JiminRI

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2014-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post  marshallgang June 20th 2016, 7:47 am

I broke the v hook while trying to straighten it. Then I found another snowblower with an intact v hook so I bought it & now have 2 blowers, one for each of my Suburbans. I had 2 v hooks fabricated & I used the second blower on my SS15 last winter. Wow, did it throw the snow! Hope to have them both operational this winter.

marshallgang

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down