Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Serial Number ID

2 posters

Go down

Serial Number ID Empty Serial Number ID

Post  Slickyrock April 25th 2019, 10:13 pm

I was given a Sears Suburban 12 and I have the model # and serial # but it is not listed in the forums I have searched. It is 917 25631 and serial is 6985

Slickyrock

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2019-04-25

Back to top Go down

Serial Number ID Empty SERIAL # ID.

Post  Georgia SS April 27th 2019, 10:49 pm

LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE 1972 SEARS SUBURBAN 12.
WHAT IS YOUR OTHER QUESTIONS.
HANG IN THERE
JIMMY

Georgia SS

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Back to top Go down

Serial Number ID Empty Re: Serial Number ID

Post  Slickyrock April 28th 2019, 8:15 am

Georgia SS wrote:LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE 1972 SEARS SUBURBAN 12.
WHAT IS YOUR OTHER QUESTIONS.
HANG IN THERE
JIMMY
Thank you for reply. Need axle seals # and a mower deck spring.

Slickyrock

Back to top Go down

Serial Number ID Empty SERIAL NUMBER ID

Post  Georgia SS April 28th 2019, 9:10 am

KI
A PHOTO WOULD BE GREAT, AND ALSO A BIT MORE INFO.WHAT ENGINE, TRANS AUTO. OR STANDARD, DECK ROUND CORNERS OR SQUARE, LOOK AT END OF AXELS AND TELL IF THEY HAVE A SNAP RING HOLDING HUBS ON, OR IF YOU SEE END OF A SQUARE1/4" KEY. ANY SEAL AND BEARINGS STORE CAN SUPPLY SEALS, I HAVE #, THE DECK SPRINGS COMES FROM TRACTOR SUPPLY.I HAVE ABOUT 20 SUBURBANS RESTORED, LOST MY MIND. WHAT IS YOUR GENERAL LOCATION? I CAN HELP WITH A FEW TIME SAVING TIPS. THAT IS ABOUT ALL OLD GUYS ARE GOOD FOR.
HAVE A GOOD ONE
JIMMY
IN SOUTH GEORGIA

Georgia SS

Back to top Go down

Post  Slickyrock April 28th 2019, 2:30 pm

Georgia SS wrote:KI
A PHOTO WOULD BE GREAT, AND ALSO A BIT MORE INFO.WHAT ENGINE, TRANS AUTO. OR STANDARD, DECK ROUND CORNERS OR SQUARE, LOOK AT END OF AXELS AND TELL IF THEY HAVE A SNAP RING HOLDING HUBS ON, OR IF YOU SEE END OF A SQUARE1/4" KEY. ANY SEAL AND BEARINGS STORE CAN SUPPLY SEALS, I HAVE #, THE DECK SPRINGS COMES FROM TRACTOR SUPPLY.I HAVE ABOUT 20 SUBURBANS RESTORED, LOST MY MIND. WHAT IS YOUR GENERAL LOCATION? I CAN HELP WITH A FEW TIME SAVING TIPS. THAT IS ABOUT ALL OLD GUYS ARE GOOD FOR.
HAVE A GOOD ONE
JIMMY
IN SOUTH GEORGIA
engine is a tecumseh with a lme carb. mowerdeck has 917 253151 on plate on deck. it has square key on axle and it is standard transmission with hi/lo. do not know how to send pics other than text

Slickyrock

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgia SS April 28th 2019, 3:17 pm

Hi
The axel seals are Timken #472311 $3.75 each at a Bearing store, deck idler spring # C257 at tractor supply if you have one near, if not visit your hardware store, (hint) where the spring hooks into the deck use a 1/4" X 1 1/4" bolt for the anchor, nut and washer on top and bottom of the hole, not high enough to rub belt, kevlar belt only.
Jimmy

Georgia SS

Back to top Go down

Post  Slickyrock April 28th 2019, 4:17 pm

Georgia SS wrote:Hi
The axel seals are Timken #472311 $3.75 each at a Bearing store, deck idler spring # C257 at tractor supply if you have one near, if not visit your hardware store, (hint) where the spring hooks into the deck use a 1/4" X 1 1/4" bolt for the anchor, nut and washer on top and bottom of the hole, not high enough to rub belt, kevlar belt only.
Jimmy
Thank You ,
Gary

Slickyrock

Back to top Go down

Post  Slickyrock April 28th 2019, 5:55 pm

Georgia SS wrote:Hi
Jimmy
1 or 2 idler springs? I see where one goes

Slickyrock

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgia SS April 28th 2019, 6:13 pm

only one spring, use a 1/2"X86" Kevlar Belt on your 42" deck, the belt routing is a bit odd, maybe the old belt will tell how, may get a view of the deck layout on sears parts.com but very few parts if any.Jimmy

Georgia SS

Back to top Go down

Post  Slickyrock April 29th 2019, 6:23 pm

Georgia SS wrote:only one spring, use a 1/2"X86" Kevlar Belt on your 42" deck, the belt routing is a bit odd, maybe the old belt will tell how, may get a view of the deck layout on sears parts.com but very few parts if any.Jimmy
got the belt today and ordered the seals,should be in tomorrow. Going to look for spring tomorrow.Looks like I need one to stretch out to about 7 3/4 inch.

Slickyrock

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgia SS April 29th 2019, 7:46 pm

Hi
Did you figure how to put up the post to hook spring on to (bolt), the length sounds about right, I think the spring is about .090 wire, larger wire stronger spring,(hint) hook spring route belt all but right end and pull, turn and work belt into groove, remove idler bracket and grease bushing good, use Valvoline wheel bearing grease in tube for Japanese cars, pump grease into each spindle until it squirts out top and bottom, the bolt that holds the idler needs to be supported good on bottom and top, belt cover supports the top end, use washers on bolt, when finished installing belt it will seem a bit loose out in the middle, not tight, when finished the spring don't need to be stretched out very much, how good are the spindle bearings, loose or noisy, no seals so will be some grease leak but ok. been mowing with the same set of spindle bearings since 1984 lot of good grease and no water. Removing the hobs can be a real bitch sometimes, may need to soak a lot, simple to take a sharp pick or punch an flip the seals out, look fo a piece of pipe to slide over the axel to push seals in straight, a washer to fit over axel next to seal is good.
Good Luck
Jimmy

Georgia SS

Back to top Go down

Post  Slickyrock April 29th 2019, 8:32 pm

you are a treasure trove of info. so greatful to have found you.
Sincerely ,Gary

Slickyrock

Back to top Go down

Post  Slickyrock April 29th 2019, 8:35 pm

spindle bearings seem good and tight. The ftngs took grease and it came out as you described. the tecumseh smokes a little at times but i think i can live with it.

Slickyrock

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down