Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

weight of a 68 ss12 ?

3 posters

Go down

weight of a 68 ss12 ? Empty weight of a 68 ss12 ?

Post  TKW April 3rd 2012, 12:02 pm

i recently weighed my 68 ss12 tractor (without mower deck) to see if i can use a home made lift to do some engine work. i just can't work standing on my head anymore ! i came up with a weight of 255 front and 320 rear for a total of 575 pounds. that seems a bit high to me. can anyone confirm that weight from a sale brochure or manual or any other information that may be out there. thank you for a reply /// tim

TKW

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2011-10-13

Back to top Go down

weight of a 68 ss12 ? Empty TRACTOR WEIGHT

Post  Georgia SS April 3rd 2012, 12:47 pm

HI I WEIGHED A COUPLE OF MINE A FEW DAYS AGO. YOUR WEIGHT SOUNDS ABOUT RIGHT. WE HAVE A SCRAP YARD NEAR BY THAT SELLS YOU PICK MOWER PARTS AT .25 PER POUND. FOUND ONE NEAR LIKE YOURS WITH 3 POINT HITCH AND NO HOOD, AND THEY WEIGHED ME OUT AT 540 LBS. HAVE A GOOD ONE. JIMMY

Georgia SS

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Back to top Go down

weight of a 68 ss12 ? Empty Re: weight of a 68 ss12 ?

Post  TKW April 3rd 2012, 1:00 pm

that was a fast answer ! thanks alot jimmy ! i used the ol' poor man's atv racing 4 bath scales method. no dumb questions here ask all or anything someone knows !!! thanks again /// tim

TKW

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2011-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post  sgdorcas April 6th 2012, 8:13 am

Hey TKW, If you are wanting to pickup the tractor, I have reinforced my garage rafters in one area, and use chain falls, or come-a-longs, (one front & 1 rear) with cargo slings to pickup the tractors, and or any of the attachments, to work on, or just to place them on a couple of saw horses. If I don't need it real high, I have a sears tractor jack circa 1979, for one end, and use the chain falls on the other end, this gives enough room to slide under for a quick job, and is faster to rig and secure. What ever you do, don't crawl under without an additional support. Nothing seems to break when your in bed sleeping, it always seems to be when your as close as possible to the scene of the crime.
sgdorcas
sgdorcas

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2011-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down