Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

68 transaxle info needed

2 posters

Go down

68 transaxle info needed Empty 68 transaxle info needed

Post  Don68 January 16th 2009, 11:18 pm

I have a 68 super 12 that I bought a couple years ago, and plan to start tearing it down this week to completely rebuild it. The trans seems to work ok, but most, if not all of the oil has leaked out. Is there any place to get seals and gaskets? I can make gaskets if I have to, but I hate putting something like that together with old seals. Also, what type of oil and most importantly how much do I need? Thanks

Don68

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-01-16

Back to top Go down

68 transaxle info needed Empty Re: 68 transaxle info needed

Post  Mike T. January 17th 2009, 10:09 pm

You should be able to find seals at a local bearing shop. I have one within 15 miles of my house. When I needed a seal for the mower deck on my Custom, I took the old seal in and they were able to match it up(they also had a bearing I needed). My experience has been that most bearings and seals are pretty standard stuff and is available just about anywhere.

I would just skip gaskets and use Permatex silicone sealant. I repair pinsetters for a living. Whenever I do gearbox repairs, I use Permatex instead of the original paper gaskets. I've never had one leak.

The oil that goes in the transaxle is just plain 30 weight oil. It takes 5 quarts.

Have you checked the Sears Parts website?
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/index.action

Hope this helps,
Mike

Mike T.

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Don68 January 18th 2009, 12:52 pm

Thanks! After my original post, I did find the seals on Sears' website, and they are in stock, imagine that! Though most parts were discontinued, they do still have quite a bit of parts available.

Don68

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down