Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ignition Switch Replacement

2 posters

Go down

Ignition Switch Replacement Empty Ignition Switch Replacement

Post  sgdorcas January 24th 2012, 1:19 pm

MY Suburban SS16 Ignition switch packed it in, and I purchased a replacement from Princess auto. The original was 5 connector, the replacement is a 4 connector. The extra wire is the power lead coming from the the Rectifier for the charging system. Where should I connect this wire? Looking at the schematic, it appears to connect to the positive side of the battery, so I think I can just attachn it to the batt connector, or the run connector on the switch, if it simply feeds into the battery circuit. Any thoughts.
sgdorcas
sgdorcas

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2011-10-14

Back to top Go down

Ignition Switch Replacement Empty Ignition Switch Replacement

Post  Georgia SS January 24th 2012, 9:36 pm

To answer you question about proper connection of wiring to ignition switch. you have figured out the 5th. wire is the power lead coming from the charging rectifier, #1 If you connect it directly to the battery terminal there will be constant feedback in to the battery without a one way diode in the circuit.#2 If you connect the charging lead to the same terminal as the ign. coil and the charging coil is working the engine will continue to run when you switch off the ignition. If the ign switch you purchased has an acc. terminal you can connect the charging circuit there along with lights and accessories and all will be well. Been there.

Georgia SS

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Back to top Go down

Ignition Switch Replacement Empty Ignition S/W

Post  sgdorcas January 25th 2012, 10:29 am

Thamks for the reply, I was thinking about the acc post, but thought it might be too much power through that terminal, but in retrospect, it wouldn't be any more than any other terminal. I'll take your advice, and attach it to the acc terminal. The new s/w has screw posts, instead of blade style, so hopefully there will be fewer problems with bad connections, something i've been plagued with for years. Imagine an ignition switch only lasting 37 years. Grant
sgdorcas
sgdorcas

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2011-10-14

Back to top Go down

Ignition Switch Replacement Empty Re: Ignition Switch Replacement

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down