Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SS14 BRIGGS BACKFIRE THRU CARBURETOR WONT START

Go down

SS14 BRIGGS BACKFIRE THRU CARBURETOR WONT START Empty SS14 BRIGGS BACKFIRE THRU CARBURETOR WONT START

Post  JWB on June 18th 2016, 6:49 pm

I just got a SS14 with Briggs engine. Cant find model or serial number. The problem i have with it is when i try to crank it it wants to backfire thru the carb. I have cleaned the carb good. I have got it to hit for a few seconds but dies by adjusting inlet and idle needles. Could it be an intake valve leak? Want advice before I tear it down. Thanks

JWB

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

SS14 BRIGGS BACKFIRE THRU CARBURETOR WONT START Empty Re: SS14 BRIGGS BACKFIRE THRU CARBURETOR WONT START

Post  spence on June 19th 2016, 12:29 pm

Pull the nut from the flywheel and see if the key is sheared or partially sheared.

spence
Admin

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

SS14 BRIGGS BACKFIRE THRU CARBURETOR WONT START Empty Re: SS14 BRIGGS BACKFIRE THRU CARBURETOR WONT START

Post  TKW on June 25th 2016, 6:19 pm

JW , i don't know anything about B & S engines , if yours has points may try cleaning them with some fine sandpaper and reset the gap , just a thought . if you got it going again let us know what the problem was and fix . > tim

TKW

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2011-10-13

Back to top Go down

SS14 BRIGGS BACKFIRE THRU CARBURETOR WONT START Empty BRIGGS BACKFIRE THRU CARB

Post  JWB on June 25th 2016, 7:01 pm

Thanks guys for your input. After the suggestions i pulled the head and found oil (lot of oil) on piston. Rings on order. Let you know if this fixes things.

JWB

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum